Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Rachel Burger

Oftentimes, when Frank gets a hankering and we go to the deli so he can have a Reuben, I will enjoy a Rachel.


I prefer coleslaw on my sandwich over sauerkraut. I do like my Sauerkraut adapted from my mother in law's recipe, but don't care for the stuff right out of the jar, bag or can.  The dressing on the slaw for this burger is a homemade Thousand Island.  Perfect for a Rachel burger.


Turkey and Corned Beef are pretty much even on my likeness scale. It depends completely on my mood on any given day.  It would be kind of hard to make a burger from corned beef though so we are using turkey today.  Ground turkey stuffed with swiss cheese, yum!!


Each patty is 1/4 lb., consisting of 2 thin patties covering a mound of shredded Swiss cheese.  You could use slices as well but I had shredded in the fridge.  Brown them up in a pan.  A cast iron skillet is perfect for these burgers if you have one.


Place it on toasted rye bread with some of the slaw and a little extra dressing, if you like, and it is ready to serve.


I was on the FMD eating plan when I made these burgers.  They would be Phase 3 friendly if omitting the cheese and using sprouted grain bread.  I didn't.....I cheated and I'm glad I did....they were delicious.

This recipe was called Swiss Cheese Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Thousand Island Slaw in the Cuisine at Home where I found it.  I thought that was a pretty big mouthful.  I named it after my favorite sandwich as it had all the same great flavors.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we.

The Rachel Burger
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #47

1 lb ground turkey burger
2 T. applesauce
salt and pepper, to taste
4 T. shredded Swiss cheese
8 slices rye bread, toasted
1/2 c. safflower oil mayonnaise
1 T. ketchup
1 T. sweet relish
1 T. chili sauce
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 t. grated horseradish
2 c. cabbage, thinly shrredded
1/2 c. red onion, thinly sliced

Using clean hands, incorporate the applesauce, salt and pepper into the turkey. Divide the burger into 4 equal pieces and the divide each piece in half.  Shape one piece into a patty the size of a piece of rye bread, cover with a T. of the cheese.  Shape the other piece into a patty and cover the cheese. Use a fork to crimp and seal the edges forming one patty.  Repeat 3 more times.

Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat.  Reduce heat to low and add the burgers to the skillet.  Cook each side for 7 minutes, until cooked through and a nice crust is achieved.  

Meanwhile, whisk together the mayo, ketchup, relish, chili sauce, lemon, and horseradish. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.  Remove 1/4 c. of the dressing and toss with the cabbage and onion, reserving remaining dressing.

Spread remaining dressing on the rye toast slices.  Top one piece of toast with a quarter of the slaw, one patty and another toasted rye slice. Print Recipe







No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.