Monday, August 21, 2017

Dark Sweet Cherry Crepes #DarkRecipes #SolarEclipse

Are you in a prime location to view the Eclipse?  I'm not.  Here in Michigan we are going to have a partial solar eclipse but that is pretty exciting too.

To celebrate this rare event, our friend Sue of Palatable Pastime invited us to post some Dark Recipes.  She suggested perhaps using dark chocolate, black beans, dark rum...you get the idea.

One of my friends is making Moon Pies......I am so envious of that kind of creative thinking.  My mind just doesn't work that way.


I decided to share some sweet dark cherries to celebrate the Total Eclipse of the Sun and made up some lovely crepes to bring to the party.

I have been sharing a lot of tart cherry recipes in the past couple of months using cherries from our daughter's prolific tree.  But we like sweet cherries too, so off we went to the cherry orchard while the picking was good.

We ate most of them, hand to mouth and seeds being spit into napkins or at each other depending on who was around and what kind of mood we were in .  I did set some aside for this dish though....it wouldn't be cherry season without enjoying a leisurely brunch featuring Cherry Crepes.

Dark Sweet Cherry Crepes

1 1/2 lbs sweet cherries, pitted
1 (10 oz) bottle cranberry juice
2 T. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 T. almond extract
1 recipe basic crepes (my recipe is here)
Freshly whipped cream for topping, if desired
Brown sugar for sprinkling, if desired

 Place the cherries, cranberry juice, sugar, cornstarch and almond extract into a large sauce pan over med high heat.  Bring to a boil, cook and stir until sauce is thickened and glossy, about 5-6 minutes. Set aside to cool while making crepes.

Divide the filling among the crepes folding or rolling the crepes around the filling.  Place on a plate and top with a little more of the filling.  Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with brown sugar, if desired. Print Recipe

Dark Recipes for the Solar Eclipse

6 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.