Thursday, August 18, 2016

Apple Almond Coffee Cake with Honey Glaze for #BundtBakers

Good Morning and Happy #BundtBakers Day.


#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.

This month I am hosting....YAY and of course I chose the theme of Apples.  August is my birthday month and it is also prime harvesting month for apples here in Michigan.  When I was a kid, my parents had a small orchard containing, apple, pear and plum trees.  Each year for my birthday my Mom would make me this apple cake.  I am not much for frosting so this cake was perfect, topped with cinnamon sugar.



As an adult my tastes have changed a lot...but I am still not a frosting fan, hence my love of Bundt Cakes that normally just have a drizzle of glaze on them.  For today's event I am sharing my adaptation of a recipe by the Deen Family.  They call theirs Uncle Bob's Fresh Apple Cake.   I switched out the walnuts for almonds and changed the procedure a little bit but basically stuck to the recipe as written.



I served this up first as dessert when we had friends for dinner and then with coffee in the morning to Frank's students who were attending his CPL class.  It was a hit both times and kept very well, wrapped in the refrigerator, as promised by Paula Deen.

You will find the rest of the #BundtBakers apple cake contributions following the recipe.  I cannot wait to check them all out!!



Apple Almond Coffee Cake with Honey Glaze
adapted from The Deen Family; Food Network.com

Glaze:

1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. honey
2 T. milk

Add all ingredients to a small bowl and stir until smooth.  Set aside

Cake:

2 apples, diced (I used Organic All Fresh Michigan Apples)
1 c. sliced almonds
2 t. cinnamon
3 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. canola oil
3 eggs

Place apples and almonds in a small bowl and toss with the cinnamon and 1 T. of the flour (taken from the 3 cups).  Set aside.

Combine the remaining flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.  Set aside

In the large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, oil and eggs. Turn the speed to low and add the flour mixture. When incorporated, turn the speed to med and beat until completely combined.  Fold in the apples and nuts.  Batter will be thick and stiff.  Scrape the batter into a bundt pan that has been treated liberally with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated 325* oven for 90 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

Allow cake to cool completely in the pan, about 1 hr.  Turn out onto a plate and drizzle with the glaze. Print Recipe

More Awesome Apple Bundts



BundtBakers



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

24 comments:

  1. Happy Bundt Bakers Day to you too! Great cake you baked and thanks a bunch for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks SO moist!! Yummmm... thanks for picking such a great theme this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the theme. Thank you for hosting and for this beautiful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my - your apple almond coffee cake looks so good! And it has honey! Yum. I just love having all these recipes in one place. It saves me from having to search for apple bundt recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that wonderful Vickie, and all our bundts, apple or otherwise are also on the bundt bakers pinterest page.

      Delete
  5. Great story Wendy. Thanks for choose Apple this month. Your bundt it' s fantastic 🙌🙌😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting this month, we loved the idea of apples! Great Bundt you made!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummmm!! Yummy!! What a great combo: apples and coffee!!! It sounds really good!!! Thank you for being our hostess. I love the theme you chose. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum yum! This is a cake that could steal my heart away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting this month Wendy, apples is one of my favourite things to bake with so you choose a great theme. Happy birthday for this month, your cake looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now we have even more in common; my birthday is also in August! I'm also not a fan of frosting. :) I didn't have the apple/pear/plum trees growing up though. I'm so happy you chose apples. This coffee cake sounds amazing, particularly that honey glaze. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday month Lauren, may you have a wonderful cake with no frosting to celebrate.

      Delete
  11. This looks wonderful. I like all the big bits of apple in the cake.
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy, your cake looks so moist and sounds so flavorful! I just love it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy, I'm planning on making it again. It is apple season in Michigan.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.