This soup made in the Instant Pot is delicious, nutritious and hearty enough to serve as a main course with a side salad and some good bread.
The Soup Saturday Swappers are sharing Lentil Soups today.......
Sue of Palatable Pastime is hosting. I was very happy when I saw the theme because I have been waiting to share this recipe with you for a long time. First, though, let's take a look at what the others cooked up for us today........
- Cajun Lentil Soup with Andouille Sausage from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Creamy Vegan Lentil Soup from Magical Ingredients
- Ham and Lentil Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spicy Turkey Sausage and Lentil Soup from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Steak and Potato Lentil Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Tadkawali Doh Dal from Sneha’s Recipe
This soup is a great way to use up that leftover ham that many of us serve up for Easter. Can you believe that we begin the Lenten Season in just a few more days?!! I see a Cajun soup up there that would be perfect for Tuesday's Mardi Gras Celebration. If you have soup on Fat Tuesday that leaves more room for the Paczki or Beignets.
I actually made this pot of soup using a ham bone that was leftover during our Christmas season but never got a chance to share it. It is quick and easy so if you still have a ham bone in your freezer waiting to be used this is your chance.
Instant Pot Ham and Lentil Soup
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 carrots, scraped and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 c. chicken stock
- 1 lb. dried brown lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t. thyme
- 1 t. cumin
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Set the instant pot to the saute setting and add the olive oil. When hot, add the carrots, celery, onions, and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally until fragrant and the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the broth. Add the ham bone, lentils, bay leaf, cumin, black pepper and thyme to the pot and stir to combine. Seal the Instant Pot, close the pressure valve and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- When pressure has released, open the pot and remove the ham bone and bay leaf. Chop the meat off of the bone and return it to the pot. Taste and season with additional black pepper and salt, if needed.
Fat (grams)10.71 g
Sat. Fat (grams)2.23 g
Carbs (grams)92.5 g
Fiber (grams)36.26 g
Net carbs56.25 g
Sugar (grams)13.7 g
Protein (grams)42.3 g
Sodium (milligrams)734.75 mg
Cholesterol (grams)14.4 mg