Saturday, September 18, 2021

Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup and the Weekly Menu #SoupSaturdaySwappers

My husband loves chicken tortilla soup.  I had planned to make him some for a Taco Tuesday dinner last week and then forgot to take my chicken out of the freezer.  Instant pot to the rescue.  I had dinner on the table in a little over an hour.

Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

I'm sharing this recipe with the Soup Saturday Swappers today.......
Sneha of Sneha's recipe is hosting our group this month and invited us all to share a soup with some "spice" in it.  Spice is perfect now that the weather is cooling down and our bodies start craving all the warm fall flavors.  Let's see what everyone has in their soup pot today........

If you are a blogger and a soup/stew fan you are welcome to join us on the third Saturday of each month when we post a recipe based on a theme or ingredient chosen by one of the members.  Just email me at wendyklik1517@gmail.com and I will send you an invitation.


Chicken tortilla soup


I normally make my chicken tortilla soup on the stove top.  My previously posted chicken tortilla soup is a creamy version.  For this Taco Tuesday I decided to make a brothy version on the stove but then forgot to take my chicken out.


Chicken Tortilla Soup pin


That folks, is why I am such a huge Instant Pot fan.  I pulled a package of skinless, boneless chicken thighs out of the freezer and plopped them right into the pot, frozen solid, with a cup of broth.  I manually set the pressure to cook on high for 10 minutes.  It does take about 10 minutes to get up to pressure but I was still able to start finishing my soup in only half an hour.  

Shred the chicken, return it to the pot with the remaining ingredients, seal and set it to the soup setting.  Before you know it you are scooping it into bowls and passing around the corn chips, cheese and avocado.  Normally I might add a dollop of sour cream as well but I was fresh out.

Before I share the recipe I would like to share our Weekly Menu for next week.  I am heading home from a conference today so we will stop for dinner on the way home.  Tomorrow we are celebrating the Angel Face's 7th birthday!!  How did that happen?!!!  Make sure you scroll down past my menu to get this amazingly delicious and easy recipe to add to your Weekly Menu.

Saturday
Dinner on the way home

Sunday
Birthday Celebration for the Angel Face

Meatless Monday
Vegetable and Hummus Pizza

Taco Tuesday
BBQ Chicken Soft Tacos

Wednesday
Chicken Kreplach

Thursday
Grilled Chicken Thighs
Roasted Red Skin Potatoes
Green and Yellow Beans

Fish Friday
Smoked Salmon Pasta

Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

This soup, made in an instant pot, is sure to be a hit with your whole family. You may want to make a double batch.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 2 HourTotal time: 2 H & 5 M

Ingredients

  • 1-2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 (32 oz) container chicken broth
  • 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 oz) can tri bean mixture, rinsed and drained
  • kernels from 3 ears of corn (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 T. chili powder
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1 t. oregano
  • corn chips, shredded cheese and avocado for serving, if desired

Instructions

  1. Place the chicken into the Instant Pot with 1 cup of the broth.  Seal and manually set the pot to cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.  When the Instant Pot indicates it is done cooking, carefully perform a quick pressure release.  Open the Instant pot, remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks.
  2. Return the shredded chicken to the pot with the remaining broth, tomatoes with their juices, beans, corn, onion and spices.
  3. Seal the pot and press the soup setting.  When soup is done cooking allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then carefully release remaining steam.  
  4. Ladle into bowls and pass the garnishes.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

569.20

Fat (grams)

27.03

Sat. Fat (grams)

7.03

Carbs (grams)

36.86

Fiber (grams)

10.04

Net carbs

26.82

Sugar (grams)

6.00

Protein (grams)

51.63

Sodium (milligrams)

732.31

Cholesterol (grams)

215.76

7 comments:

  1. Ummm...YUM!!! A quick, easy, pretty bowl of soup! And...the best part...putting cheese and avocado on it! I mean, come on...way too hard to resist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you can use it to defrost and cook the chicken at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a life saver sometimes or at least a dinner saver LOL.

      Delete
  3. That bowl of soup looks delicious Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks amazing and scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.