Saturday, September 4, 2021

September means Labor Day and Canning Season (and the Weekly Menu)

Where does the time go?!!  It is already Labor Day weekend, which is officially the end of summer here in Michigan.  All public school students return to class on Tuesday.  Most schools are opening for in person classrooms this year.  Some are offering both in person and virtual and allowing the parents to choose.  

Labor Day Graphic

I would like to take this time to thank all the teachers who have had it so rough the last couple of years as well as all the front line workers.   I want to thank all the service industry who continued to provide for us during this incredibly difficult time.  Special shout out to medical personnel, hospital employees, police officers, firefighters, and medics.  Enjoy your extra day off.

If you are not enjoying an extra day off this weekend because your job is essential and you cannot be spared, you are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Our Angel Face is being home schooled again this year.  Mama doesn't want to put her into any large, indoor groups until the vaccine is approved for children and she can be innoculated.  I can't say as I blame her.  I think that even if/when that happens they may continue with home schooling.  Angel Face is well beyond her age level in all her studies.

For me, September means canning season.  We took a ride last Wednesday and stopped at several farms while out.  My CSA farmer is resting her land this season so I didn't have my normal go to for my canning produce.  We picked up a bushel of  tomatoes and a bushel of peaches.

canned goods
 

Yesterday some of the tomatoes were canned whole and some were turned into Marinara and canned.  A bushel of tomatoes provided 6 quarts canned and 4 quarts of Marinara.  This morning I started canning the peaches making jam and salsa as well as canning some slices.  

We have plans to make the most of our holiday weekend.  This afternoon we are going to the Algonac Art Fair before we attend 4 PM Mass.  This Mass is being offered up for Kirsten and we will be singing.  Afterwards we will be joining John for dinner.

Sunday Nicole and Pierre are selling their wares at the New Baltimore Art on the Bay.  We are going to go visit that show (and them) in the morning and then we are having family dinner here in the evening.

Monday we are going over to Dan and Rebecca's to celebrate Dan's Birthday.  They got a new puppy last week and I am very excited to get to meet him.  Then it will be life back to normal as my Weekly Menu reflects.  How are you spending your holiday weekend?

Saturday
Out to dinner after Mass

Sunday-Family Dinner
BBQ Ribs
Mac and Cheese
Corn on the Cob
Sliced Tomatoes
Chickpea Salad
Kahlua Cupcakes

Monday-Labor Day
Dan's Birthday Dinner

Tuesday
Chicken Tortilla Soup

Wednesday
Chicken and Eggplant Agrodolce

Thursday
Pierogi Shepherd's Pie

Friday
Filet Mignon
Grilled Root Vegetable Medley



2 comments:

  1. Tomato and peach season has been wonderful here in Ann Arbor this summer. I'm not canning anything, but enjoying lots of variety in eating them, knowing how short a time they are available.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michigan has great produce. Nothing better in my humble opinion than our corn, strawberries, peaches, cherries, apples and tomatoes.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.