Friday, August 28, 2020

Starting with Leftovers: Pork and Stuffing Casserole and The Weekly Menu

Herbed croutons tossed with onions, celery and apples make the bottom layer of this casserole that is then topped with roast pork loin slices and smothered with gravy.  A delicious way to use up that leftover pork roast from Sunday Supper.

Pork and Stuffing Casserole


When I finally got Frank home from the hospital I wanted to nurture him with some comfort food.  For our family, comfort food comes in many forms.  Frank's homecoming dinner consisted of a Pork Loin Roast, Mashed Potatoes, and Sauteed Sweet Corn and Yellow Squash.  It was delicious and he was happy to get away from the hospital food.

However, there were only 3 of us having dinner that night so there was tons of leftovers.  I had intended to make bbq pork sandwiches with the leftover pork but I also had a lot of gorgeous gravy.  I considered Hot Pork Sandwiches but then decided to make up some stuffing because the Teen loves stuffing.

Pork and Stuffing Casserole

Comfort food isn't always beautiful but it is always delicious.  This is a great recipe for making your original comfort food meal into a second, even more soothing meal.

I didn't do a very good job of sticking to my menu last week.  We enjoyed the soup that Roz brought us for dinner one night and for lunch another day.  When Roz delivered that huge pot of soup she had left the cut up chicken pieces whole in the broth and provided a bag of egg noodles separately for us to add as desired.  What a wonderful idea that was.  

I was able to make a large pot of soup using half of the chicken, noodles and broth.  A few days later I was able to use the leftovers to make a delicious one skillet Chicken and Noodles.  I will be sharing that recipe with you very soon.  

I love finding great ways to re-purpose leftovers so I was a very happy cook this week.  However that meant that some of my planned meals got transferred to this week.

Saturday
Hachee (Beef and Onion Stew) 
Mashed Potatoes
Braised Cabbage

Sunday
Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole

Meatless Monday
Vegetable Focaccia

Taco Tuesday
White Chicken Chili
Cornbread

Wednesday
Breaded Pork Chops
Pierogi
Steamed Green Beans

Thursday
Grilled Burgers
Corn on the Cob

Fish Friday
Crab Cakes 
Tater Tots
Cole Slaw

What's on your menu for this week?  Do you plan leftovers?




leftovers, pork, stuffing, casseroles, gravy, entrees
Main Course, Entrees, Casseroles, Pork
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Print
Pork and Stuffing Casserole

Pork and Stuffing Casserole

Herbed croutons tossed with onions, celery and apples make the bottom layer of this casserole that is then topped with roast pork loin slices and smothered with gravy. A delicious way to use up that leftover pork roast from Sunday Supper.
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 30 MTotal time: 45 M

Ingredients:

  • 2 T. butter
  • 1/2 - 2 cups herb flavored stuffing mix
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 apple, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/4 c. chicken stock
  • 6-8 slices leftover pork loin roast
  • 1 c. leftover pork gravy

Instructions:

  1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over med high heat.  Add the mushrooms, onions, celery and apple.  Cook stirring occasionally until crisp tender.  Add the chicken stock, stirring to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Add the stuffing, stir to combine and turn off heat.  
  2. Allow the stuffing to absorb all the liquid and then place the stuffing on the bottom of a pie pan or small casserole.  Layer the pork over the stuffing and pour the gravy over all.  
  3. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 30 minutes until bubbly and heated through.
Created using The Recipes Generator

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. My name is Cathy, do not know why it says catju, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy. I would be interested in knowing why it says catju.

      Delete
  2. I used beef broth, beef gravy and a small can of mushrooms-all this because it was what I had that came close to the recipe. I had a leftover pork butt roast. (I wasn't too impressed by the picture that accompanied the recipe, but . . . ) Everything else was as written. It turned out WONDERFUL! Thanks for a really good supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Delicious dinners aren't always beautiful but they are always comforting.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.