Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Arroz Atollado #EattheWorld

This amazing Colombian Pork and Sausage Risotto is an incredibly delicious one dish meal.

Arroz Atollado


We are traveling to Colombia this month as we Eat the World........



Eat the World Logo

Check out all the wonderful Colombian dishes prepared by fellow Eat the World members and share with #eattheworld. Click here to find out how to join and have fun exploring a country a month in the kitchen with us!

This is one of my favorite blogging groups.  I love exploring the different countries through their cuisine and sharing it with my readers.  I also love learning new recipes and more culture from the articles written by others in this group.

The recipe that I'm sharing with you today was found on a blog called All That's Jas.  It is a traditional Colombian dish, often served on holidays.  I adapted the recipe only slightly.

Arroz Atollado

Cubed pork is browned and then covered with broth seasoned and braised for tenderness.  Then the potatoes, rice and sausage are added along with a homemade Hagao Sauce.  This mixture is simmered until the liquid is absorbed and the rice has the consistency of risotto.

Traditionally this stew is served with slices of avocado and hard boiled egg.  I did not add that to mine but I'll bet it is wonderful.

Arroz Atollado and wine

This was one of my favorite meals that I have made lately.  I paired it with a wine from the Finger Lakes Region.  I will be talking to you more about that pairing in my post on Friday so please stop back and check it out.

Arroz Atollado pin

I can't wait to see where we're traveling to next month.  Mark your calendars.  We all share on the 10th of each month at 10 AM.  See you then.




Arroz Atollado
Print

Arroz Atollado

Yield: 4 servings
Author:
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 50 MTotal time: 65 M
This amazing Colombian Pork and Sausage Risotto is an incredibly delicious one dish meal.

Ingredients:

Risotto
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • 1 lb. pork stew meat
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 c. chicken broth or chicken broth/water mixture
  • 1 c. Basmati rice
  • 1 small yukon gold potato, diced into 1" pieces
  • 9 oz. smoked sausage of choice, sliced into rounds
Hogao Sauce
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 2 scallions, chipped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 T. sazon goya with azafran
  • pinch of cumin
  • pepper to taste

Instructions:

  1. Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large dutch oven over med high heat.  Season the pork with salt and pepper and add to the pot.  Cook for about 5 minutes until browned all over. 
  2. Add the chicken broth and water to the pot, cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
  3. While pork is braising, make the Hogao sauce by combining the remaining oil, tomato, scallions, garlic, bell pepper, sazon goya, cumin and pepper in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.  Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Add the rice, potato and smoked sausage to the pork.  Stir in the Hogao Sauce.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.   Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally for another 10 minutes or so, until the potatoes are tender, liquid is absorbed and rice is done to a risotto consistency, adding more water or broth as needed.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at All That's Jas. I found sazon goya on Amazon.
#stew, #pork, #sausage, #rice, #risotto,
Entrees, Pork, Stew
Colombian
Created using The Recipes Generator

12 comments:

  1. Oh yumm!! I will save this one and have to try soon - it looks like a wonderfully hearty, flavorful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! The rice in hagao sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of jambalaya! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that looks fantastic - creamy rice, meat, sausages with that fantastic-sounding sauce. A great combination. I bet that sauce might be good on other things, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creamy and delicious risotto,totally different recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing Wendy! It was wonderful to see you last week!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.