Thursday, November 17, 2016

Spiced Pear Bundt Cake for #BundtBakers

This is the perfect Fall desssert.  Chock full of pieces of pear, spiced with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg then covered with a caramel glaze.  Perfect for your dessert table on Thanksgiving or at your next dinner party during the holiday season.

Welcome to this month's edition of #BundtBakers.  Each month we get together with like-minded bloggers and bring you lovely bundts that were created based on a theme chosen by one of the members.  This month's theme was pears, chosen by our host, Lauren, of Sew You Think You Can Cook.

I was very excited about this theme because I LOVE pears and was the proud owner of two glorious pear trees until we moved last month.  Those pear trees, along with my cherry and peach tree, are one of the things I will miss about my old home.  We will put in some fruit trees here in the Spring but it will take a few years to reap the benefits of our labor.

Each year I would have such an abundance of pears that we couldn't possibly eat them all.  So I would preserve them making jams, and pear halves in syrup and pear butter.  I had one quart of pear butter left in my pantry, so I pulled it out to use in this wonderful cake.

My pear butter is spiced with wonderful Fall flavors.  If you are not lucky enough to have pear butter in your cupboard simply puree a couple ripe pears with 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. You will have more than you need for this recipe but you can enjoy it on your toast for breakfast during the week.


I would average about 4 sink loads of pears every other year and 2 sink loads on opposite years.
That is a lot of pear butter!!!


I adapted this recipe from Betty Crocker for this month's event.  I used my pear butter instead of pureed pears and pumpkin pie spice.  I served it up for dessert at an engagement party that I hosted.


It was a huge success and is it any wonder? Look at those lovely chunks of pear enfolded by that beautifully spiced cake and topped with a creamy, decadent caramel.  Who could resist?

Spiced Pear Bundt Cake
adapted from Betty Crocker

3 c. flour
1 1/4 t. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 c. pear butter
2 lg. ripe pears, cored, peeled and diced
3/4 c. canola oil
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
dash of salt
1/3 c. heavy cream
1 c. powdered sugar

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the pear butter, canola oil and sugar at medium speed until combined.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Beat in vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the bowl and mix on low speed until moistened. Increase the speed to medium and beat until combined.  Return the speed to low and stir in diced pear.

Pour the batter into a bundt pan that has been treated with baking spray.  The batter will be thick, spread evenly in the pan.  Place bundt in a preheated 350* oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center removes cleanly.  Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.  Allow cake to cool completely.

Combine butter, brown sugar, dash of salt and heavy cream in a medium sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.  Boil for one minute.  Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes before whisking in the powdered sugar until smooth.  Pour over cooled cake immediately before it hardens.  Print Recipe

More Wonderful Bundts with Pears



  • Almond Pear Bread Pudding from Food Lust People Love
  • Bundt Cake de Pera y Almendras from La Mejor Manera de Hacer
  • Fresh Pear Bundt Cake with Vanilla Glaze from The Queen of Scones
  • Honey and Walnut Pear Bundt Cake from Sew You Think You Can Cook
  • London Fog & Pear Bundt Cake from All That's Left Are The Crumbs
  • Orange Pear Bundt Cake from Basic N Delicious
  • Pear and Date Bundt Cake with Caramel Mascarpone Sauce from kidsandchic
  • Pear and Hazelnut Bundt from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
  • Pear and Port Bundt Cake from Palatable Pasttime
  • "Pear"fect Rum Raisin Cake from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
  • Pear Pecan Coffee Bundt Cake from Patty's Cake
  • Pear Spiced Bundt Cake from I Love Bundt Cakes
  • Pear Streusel Crunch Cake from Noshing with the Nolands
  • Pumpkin Pear Bundt Cake from Making Miracles
  • Roasted Pear & Walnut Spice Cake Bundt from Brooklyn Homemaker
  • Salted Caramel Pear Bundt Cake from Tartacadabra
  • Spiced Pear Bundt from A Day in the Life on the Farm
  • 20 comments:

    1. That sounds like a wonderful pear cake. I love making bundt cakes. Several years ago I sold my bundt pan at a garage sale because I wasn't making many cakes then. My cousin gave me another one when I decided I wanted to bake again!! LOL

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I like Bundts because they don't have a lot of frosting and I am not much of a frosting person.

        Delete
    2. Your beautiful Bundt looks and sounds delightful.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Such a perfect treat! That caramel frosting looks rich and delicious - what a tasty way to top off this delicious cake.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah....I'm not a frosting lover but that caramel glaze was awesome.

        Delete
    4. Pear butter, that is making me drool thinking about it. I love your bundt, so gorgeous!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oh my gosh this sounds heavenly! I am soooo jealous of your fruit tree bounty, and can certainly understand why you'd miss those trees so much!
      I used to make my own apple butter, but never tried pear butter. That sounds great too! YUM!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. yes, I'm anxious to plant more trees but know that it will be a few years before we reap any bounty.

        Delete
    6. Love that icing! And what a sink full of fruit! I had a lot of pears a couple years ago and made a ton of peach-pear butter. Just a bargain haul from the produce market as I don't have a tree.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sadly, I don't either anymore but I am changing that in the Spring.

        Delete
    7. Wow Wendy, that is a lot of pears, I do envy you, looks so wonderful! The bundt cake looks amazing, and the icing... mmmm!

      ReplyDelete
    8. WHOA THAT'S A LOT OF PEARS! I do hope you're able to have just as successful bounty in your new home soon.
      Thanks for baking with me! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Wendy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Lauren and hoping you and yours enjoy your first Thanksgiving in your new home.

        Delete
    9. Oooohhh!!! That's a lot of pears!!!!! Your cake sounds delicious and that caramel glaze is perfect!! I love it!! XOXO

      ReplyDelete
    10. Your homemade pear butter sounds amazing, and what a wonderful addition to your cake. It looks delicious.

      ReplyDelete
    11. I can't imagine having that many pears to deal with! I'd be making pear everything! Your cake looks and sounds lovely!

      ReplyDelete

    I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.