Sunday, November 20, 2016

Drunken Pork Chops for #CrazyIngredientChallenge

Welcome to this month's edition of #CIC where we vote to choose which 2 items we will be using to create a dish each month.  This month the vote was tallied and the winners were Beer and Cornflakes! I don't think pouring a bowl of cereal and topping it with beer counts as a recipe but.....whatever makes you happy LOL.


I decided to focus on dinner rather than breakfast.
Our friend, Steve, had brought over this Dragon's Milk brew.
It is a dark, malty beer that is aged in Bourbon Barrels.


I put the chops into the beer to marinate.
Put the chops into the refrigerator, planning to bake them that evening.
But the best laid plans......


They marinated for two days because my kitchen looked like this.


And my oven was here.
Then the installers did not show up at all yesterday.
So much for baking my chops.


Then I remembered that Frank's brother had given us a toaster oven that he no longer needed.
I had never owned a toaster oven and it was put aside into the barn during the move.
I pulled it out and decided to give it a go.


It worked amazing well and the pork chops cooked beautifully in a short amount of time.
Now, as for the pork chops....that marinated in the beer for nearly 3 full days.
If you like the taste of beer, you will like these pork chops.
If not, then I would suggest only marinating them for a couple of hours, as was my original plan.
I also added some of the marinating liquid to the egg portion of my breading station.
Omit that and use milk unless you LOVE the taste of beer.


I don't mind the taste of beer so I enjoyed these moist, tender chops.
Frank, on the other hand, was not impressed at all.
I guess the verdict on whether I would be "chopped" is dependant on the judge's tastes.


Drunken Pork Chops 

4 pork chops
1 bottle Dragon's Milk beer (or beer of choice)
1/2 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
1/2 c. cornflake crumbs

Place the pork chops and beer into a heavy duty zip lock bag and refrigerate for an hour or longer to marinate.  Remove the pork chops from the beer, reserving the liquid, and pat dry.  

Place the flour in a shallow bowl, season with salt and pepper,   Place the egg and 2 T. of the reserved beer in a second shallow bowl.  Beat with a fork to combine.  Place the cornflake crumbs in a third shallow bowl.

Dredge the chops in the flour. Shake off any excess and dip into the egg/beer mixture.  Coat both sides with the cornflakes and place on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet.  Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 45-55 minutes.  Chops should reach an internal temperature of 145*.  Print Recipe

Let's see what the others created with Cornflakes and Beer













7 comments:

  1. I go back and forth on how I feel about beer. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I want to spit it out. I'd still love to try your drunken pork chops though. I can just imagine how great they would be grilled. Couldn't use corn flakes for that but still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beer on a hot, sweaty summer day. But I don't know about combining that taste with my pork chops! LOL! I'm hoping your people showed up to finish your house! Being torn up like that would be testing my type-A personality!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tile was finished this afternoon. The painters come tomorrow and Tuesday. The carpet comes Wednesday and then I will have tons for which to be grateful on Thanksgiving.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it is all coming together for you!

      Delete
  3. This recipe looks like the perfect way to blend these ingredients! You must be SO ready to have your kitchen back together, in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is done except for the paint which is being done tomorrow..YaY!!!

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.