Sunday, November 6, 2016

Chestnut and Persimmon Cake featuring Melissa's Produce

Last week I got a great package from Melissa's Produce, who are sponsoring our November edition of Wine Pairing Weekend.


I had never heard of Christmas Crunch grapes before but they are the sweetest, most delicious grapes I have ever eaten.  I have yet to use the squash, potatoes and parsnips but plan on making a pot roast later this week and roasting up those veggies to serve alongside.  I have never worked with crabapples or these small lady apples and am still contemplating what I will make with these little beauties.  


I served the grapes as part of the breakfast station that I served for Frank's CPL class that he held yesterday.  He holds classes once a month and I provide a light breakfast and lunch for the students.


 have never had a persimmon.  Hard to believe isn't it?  They are wonderful.  I don't know why I haven't tried them before.  I think they will make a lovely addition to a salad but I wanted to serve a dessert after lunch so decided to pair them with the chestnuts to make a cake.


I made a plain white cake and added the fruit of 3 persimmons and 1 c. of chopped chestnuts. I seasoned the cake using pumpkin spice olive oil and cinnamon.  You can use regular olive oil and a t. of pumpkin pie spice in lieu of the spiced olive oil.


I wasn't sure what kind of frosting would work with this cake so I decided to add a streusel topping. Mmmmmmm.......streusel.


It baked up tender, moist and delicious.  I was proud to serve it at Frank's class and we will enjoy it again this evening when Kim and Kurt join us for dinner.


One last thing before I share my recipe.  While I appreciate Melissa's Produce providing me with this produce I did not receive any monetary compensation nor was I required to prepare and/or blog a recipe for them.  I simply made this cake and loved it so much that I wanted to share it with you.



Chestnut and Persimmon Cake

2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 c. milk
3/4 c. pumpkin spice olive oil (or regular oil with 1 t. pumpkin pie spice)
1 t. cinnamon
2 1/4 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 t. vanilla
3 ripe fuyu persimmons, peeled, seeded and diced
1 c. roughly chopped chestnuts (steamed and shelled)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour 
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 stick butter, room temperature

Cream together the sugar and eggs in the large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, 
for a minute or so, until slightly thickened.  Add the flour, milk, olive oil, pumpkin pie spice (if using), cinnamon, baking powder, salt and vanilla.   Mix on low speed until moistened, increased speed and beat until combined, about another minute.  Turn speed to low and stir in the persimmons and chestnuts.  Pour into a 9x13" pan that has been treated with baking spray.  

Place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse until crumbly.  Sprinkle over top of cake batter.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 40-45 minutes, until top is golden and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake removes cleanly.  Print Recipe





6 comments:

  1. That really looks yummy. You are such a good cook, Wendy.
    Congrats on all the improvements on the new house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried a persimmon either, Wendy. That looks marvelous though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing Paula....I will be glad when it is gone because I can't stop picking at it.

      Delete
  3. Yum! Now I want to try persimmons too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.