Sunday, December 20, 2015

Cranberry Cocoa Cream Tart for Crazy Ingredient Challenge

Now is the time for a Holiday Crazy Ingredient Challenge and the items that had to be included in our recipe were Cranberries and Cocoa.  Ingredients are selected by voting on 2 lists, each containing 3 items.  It's a democracy so the highest vote getter on each list wins.


I was pleased with the winners this month and not too worried about coming up with a recipe.  I thought about cookies or muffins.  I thought about challenging myself and trying to come up with something savory...perhaps a turkey mole with cranberries....doesn't that sound interesting.  But then while browsing blog land I came across a blog called Family Style Food.  It was my first visit to this blog and there are so many terrific recipes that I was very excited.  Then I noticed that the last entry was on May 10 so I don't know if the owner has stopped writing and creating or if she is just on sabbatical.  Either way, I hope all is well for her and I want to thank her for this great recipe that I found and made.  


It is a very easy process but it does need an overnight chill and then another 2 hour chill so keep that in mind if you are planning on making it for an event.  You cook the cranberries until softened but still maintaining their shape before combining with unflavored gelatin and chilling overnight.  The crust only takes moments to put together and minutes to bake but needs to be completely cool before filling with the Mascarpone cream and topping with the cranberries.  Then you want to refrigerate it for another couple of hours before serving.


The finished product is gorgeous.
I only wish I had some mint leaves to add some green to the tart.


It is rich, decadent and delicious.
Everything that a holiday dessert should be.


Cranberry Cocoa Cream Tart
very slightly adapted from Family Style Food

1 t. unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 c. fresh cranberries
3/4 c. sugar
2 sleeves of chocolate wafer cookies (I used Oreos)
6 T. butter, melted
pinch of salt
2 (8 oz) pkgs mascarpone cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1 T. cream or milk

For the Topping: 

Sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 c. of water in a 1 c. measuring cup and let soften for about 10 minutes. While gelatin is softening, place cranberries, sugar and 1/4 c. water into a saucepan and place over med high heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, until cranberries are softened but maintaining their shape.

Drain the cranberries over a bowl.  Add the gelatin to the juice from the cranberries and stir to dissolve.  Add the cranberries and stir gently to coat.  Cover and chill overnight.

For the Crust:

Place the cookie and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to fine crumbs.  With the food processor running, drizzle in the melted butter moistening the crumbs.  Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" tart pan that has a removable bottom.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

For the Filling:

Beat the mascarpone cheese, cocoa, sugar and milk together until fluffy and spreadable.  Spread over the cooled crust and top with the cranberries.  Chill for a minimum of 2 hours before serving. Print Recipe

Let's take a look at the other Cranberry/Cocoa creations



10 comments:

  1. I love finding new blogs and tweaking their recipes to fit my taste. This looks like a great one. Good job Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, This looks awesome and a great recipe for CIC.. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it is a delicious as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was Paula....I need to find some exercise clubs if I'm going to participate in all these cooking clubs LOL>

      Delete
  4. Mmm!that filling sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds incredible! Looking forward to sneaking more cranberries into our diet with this dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.