Thursday, July 16, 2015

Almond Rhubarb Bundt Cake #BundtBakers

As I write this it is still rhubarb season here in Michigan and our refrigerator is filled with these tangy, bright spears of deliciousness.  I have frozen some to enjoy later in the year when we get hungry for a bite of summertime but I still haven't gotten my fill this season.  I have made rhubarb crumble, rhubarb berry coffee cake, rhubarb and mixed berry cobbler, rhubarb muffins and a rhubarb crisp.

I walk around all day thinking of different things I can make with my abundance of rhubarb. Perhaps a bread, or a pie would be good, maybe an upside down cake.  How about something savory rather that sweet?  My friend Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla, roasted up some rhubarb and made scones.   Maybe I should roast some and toss it into a salad.  Or maybe make a chutney to serve with grilled meats.  The possibilities just run through my brain.

Then, as luck would have it, our Bundt Baker's theme this month, chosen by Shilpi of Simply Veggies,  is fruit and nuts.  A perfect way to use some more rhubarb.  I adapted this recipe from an almond rhubarb coffee cake that I found on Allrecipes.com.



It turned out beautifully.  A perfect start to the day or a wonderful finish to your dinner.  I think this will be staying on my rhubarb recipe rotation for many years to come.

Almond Rhubarb Bundt Cake
adapted from allrecipes .com submitted by Neris

1 T. butter, melted
1/4 c. sliced almonds
1/3 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
3/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
2/3 c. canola oil
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 c. whole milk
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/4" slices
1/2 c. sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350* and prepare a bundt pan by spraying with baking spray.

Combine melted butter, 1/4 c. almonds and granulated sugar.  Sprinkle this mixture in the bottom of the bundt pan.

In large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together brown sugars, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.  Reduce mixing speed to low and add dry ingredients, alternately with the milk until combined completely.  Add the almonds and rhubarb and stir to incorporate.  

Spoon into the bundt pan over the streusel topping and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the thickest part of the cake removes cleanly.  Print Recipe


Look at all these Beautiful Fruit and Nut themed Bundt Cakes


    BundtBakers

      #BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
      Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page. Bundt Bakers’ Badge

43 comments:

  1. I have to make this one! I just love rhubarb in baked goods. Sadly, my rhubarb didn't make much of a showing this year. I will have to give it a little extra TLC before next spring. #BundtBakers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhubarb. It's hard to get in my part of the world, but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the way feast or famine, depending on where you live.

      Delete
  3. Lovely bundt cake, great combo of almond with rhubarb. I wish it was more available here or not stupid expensive in stores considering how crazy it grows. Enjoy all that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious Wendy! I too have some rhubarb that I need to use up, so will be looking through your recipes for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just made another rhubarb recipe that will be posting on Monday Olivia.

      Delete
  5. mmm, it´s seems so delicious, it´s a pity not to have rhubarb here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look good. And I am not even a fan of rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a delicious bundt cake! I used rhubarb in my bundt cake too, it's such a great ingredient in baked goods :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Bundt... I am sure, it will be delicious as it looks..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't ever baked with rhubarb. I do love it. So I will be baking with it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhubarb is a favourite of mine and almond is a great choice to go with it. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rhubarb is also a favourite of mine, looks really delicious Wendy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like I should give rhubarb a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love rhubarb. I grew up in the midwest where rhubarb was abundant. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to find in California. I love all things rhubarb and your bundt turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize rhubarb was a midwest thing. Interesting that we have something you don't other than mosquitoes LOL.

      Delete
  15. Dear Wendy, I can only imagine how delicious this bundt must be. Rhubarb is a favorite of ours...sounds wonderful! xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. No rhubarb here in the deep south, but if there was I would definitely make this cake. I bet it was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds absolutely delicious! What a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rhubarb is one of those vegetables I hear people talk about every summer but I never see in supermarkets near me. I'll have to find out if they just never have rhubarb down here or if it's just my specific stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized that rhubarb was a midwestern thing Kelly until I wrote this post. Here it is like zucchini, you have so much you don't know what to do with it all.

      Delete
  19. Your cake looks lovely and moist Wendy! You are a lucky girl to have abundance of rhubarb around you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I think so too for the first month and then I start looking around for people who want rhubarb LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.