Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Taking a moment to breathe...

We have been busy little soldiers around here.  Sunday after Mass we went out to lunch with John and Kirsten, then we walked around the Art Fair.  The sun came out, the sky was blue...it was a perfect day AND....I picked up 3 Christmas gifts.  When we got home we worked around the house and yard.  Frank replaced the washtub, fixed the pool filter and got the pool up and running, started working on putting in the dog fence and began making a tv stand for Tingting out of an old dresser she picked up at a garage sale for $25.


He had to close the opening that was in the middle of the dresser.
Then he put decorative edging along the front to hide the seams.

Frank began painting it yesterday after he was done with work but ran out of paint.  It will be completed tonight.  While Frank was busy with his projects, I cleaned out the storage area, scrubbed the carpet and furniture, prepared the guest room for Larry and Mary, prepared Melody's room for Jack and Spence and gave the stinky dogs a bath.

This morning I got up early and began running errands.  I stopped and saw Mom who was sleeping again.  It seems like she is sleeping every time I stop by lately.  We visited for a little while and then an activity was starting so I left her with her "gang" and started my errands.  I hit the bank, the dollar store for the food pantry, Lowe's for more paint for the dresser, the grocery store and the feed store. When I got home I cleaned out the refrigerator and put together a Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie before the fruit was no longer usable.  That was the end of my strawberries and rhubarb, at least until the next CSA visit.  I boiled up some beets to use in our Greek Salad tonight when John, Kirsten and her family join us for dinner tonight.

While I was busy with all of this the puppies wanted in.  I let them in and Shadow went and sat down for his treat.  Sherman ran straight into my bedroom.  Curious I went to see what he was doing.  He was chewing up a baby robin that he had brought in from outside.  Aaaargh...poor little thing....the bird not Shermy!

During these crazy days of summer when we are entertaining and running continuously I try to stick with tried and true meals that are not only easy peasy but delicious.  So for tonight I am serving a Greek Feast that includes dishes I have shared before, Greek Meatballs, Pilafi, and Baklava.  We are starting with a Greek Salad and I noticed that I haven't shared this recipe with you before so I will finish this post with that.  Enjoy!





Greek Salad

6 c. of your favorite lettuce ( I used an assortment from my CSA)
1 English cucumber, cut into slices
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 red onion. thinly sliced
1/2  jar Greek Olives
2 beets, cooked, peeled and cut into eighths
 pepperoncini to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 c. good olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 t. oregano paste
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. feta cheese, crumbles

Line a platter with the cleaned and dried lettuce.  Top with the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives, beets, and pepperoncini.  Place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano and salt and pepper in a small jar and shake well to combine.  Pour over the salad.  Sprinkle with the crumbled Feta and serve. Print Recipe



5 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness, I need to sit down and rest after reading about your wonder-fullllll busy day. The Greek salad and dinner menu sound scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee, we were able to have some down time after dinner. We visited and played a game.

      Delete
  2. WOW I want to channel some of your energy my way! This heat (and maybe my laziness) just keeps me sitting at the computer or reading. I think it might more be a way of my escaping. Love the sounds of the Greek salad. Enjoy your company. Be sure to show us the finished pictures on the dresser!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is finishing it up right now Paula, putting in the hardware and getting it ready to go....stay tuned for pics.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.