Friday, June 26, 2015

Mmmmmmmichigan Strawberries

It is Michigan Strawberry season.  It lasts for only 2 or 3 weeks so grab them while you can and enjoy these tasty little morsels.  There is nothing that compares.  No, they are not huge like California strawberries.  They can't be dipped in chocolate and made into a beautiful bouquet.  They don't look pretty on a platter near a chocolate fountain and no one is going to say "Wow, look at the size of that strawberry!".



But they are the most juicy, sweet, delectable little berries you will ever pop into your mouth.  So run out and get as many as you can.  Make some pies, freeze some whole, pop them into your mouth as you wash them up to put into your salad or to make into Strawberry Shortcake.  Just grab them while the grabbing is good and grab a lot because otherwise you will be sitting there in a couple of weeks saying "Oh, how I wish I had some Michigan strawberries".

My Amy grew a strawberry patch this year and when she came by last week for dinner she brought me some that had just been picked.  Sun ripened, juicy and incredibly sweet.  I wanted to showcase these beauties at the peak of their perfection so I turned them into a mouthwatering, delicious, delectable, scrumptious ice cream.



I used a recipe found in Real Simple magazine and, you guessed it, it is really simple.  A perfect way to preserve your fresh Michigan strawberries.  I am happy to share the recipe with you.

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
very slightly adapted from Real Simple Magazine

1 lb. strawberries, washed and trimmed
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk
2/3 c. sugar

Place half of the strawberries in a food processor or blender and puree. Slice the remaining strawberries into 1/4" slices.  (If you are using Michigan strawberries, leave the tiny ones whole and cut the larger ones in half).

Combine the sugar, cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.  Add the pureed strawberries and stir to combine.  Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs.

Pour the cream mixture into an ice cream maker and chill according to the manufacturer's directions.  During the last 5 minutes of churning add the remaining strawberries and allow them to incorporate into the ice cream.  Turn into an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hrs.  Print Recipe

4 comments:

  1. That IS a super easy ice cream recipe. Richard has a nice recipe that he always used for the big ice cream freezer and it was a favorite of his to add the fresh strawberries too! What we loved about his recipe is it didn't require any cooking.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love easy peasy. Would you be willing to share Richard's recipe?

      Delete
  2. What a lovely recipe. I have a small one quart hand crank to try this in.

    California strawberries are generally sort of tasteless. I know this because I grew my own because of it. They are also Bromided to death. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Zip, California strawberries are prettier but ours are much tastier.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.