Monday, August 29, 2016

Lemon Muffins for #SecretRecipeClub and #MuffinMonday

Woohoooo it's a Secret Recipe Club Special Event!!  Since this month has 5 Mondays we are celebrating "back to school".  In these special events we are not required to participate and we are often assigned a blogger outside of our group.  This gives us an opportunity to get to know other members with whom we would normally not have contact.


I was excited to be assigned to Daily Dish Recipes owned by Nicole.  I do know Nicole from other blogging clubs and events but I have never been lucky enough to have been assigned her in past SRC events. 

Nicole live in Missouri and is mom to 5 teenagers.  You can tell how much she loves being a mom and she rounds out her life with cooking and writing.  She has been writing on line now for over 12 years so you can just imagine the treasures you can find when browsing her blog.

I knew exactly what I wanted to make when I signed up for this back to school challenge.  You see, it is also #MuffinMonday, another fun group to which I belong.  Muffin Monday is the brainchild of Stacy from Food Lust People Love.  She invites other bloggers to join her on the last Monday of each month and share a muffin recipe.  That's it...no themes, no hosting, no obligations....just muffins, muffins and more muffins.


Muffins are perfect for back to school.  They are a nutritious, quick breakfast that you can hand off to your kids with a piece of fruit as they run out the door.  They make a great dessert in their lunchboxes and they are a perfect snack when they get home and are starving before dinnertime.

I went right to Nicole's bread section in her recipe index.  I found a wonderful Chocolate Chip Muffin but it called for sour cream and there was none to be had in my refrigerator.  Then there were these ooey gooey looking Caramel Apple Muffins but they were from a previous SRC assignment as were these Fresh Strawberry Muffins.  

It would take me a long while to link to every great muffin recipe I found on Nicole's blog so instead I just recommend that you head over and take a gander at her visual recipe file.  Take a napkin with you to wipe the drool from you keyboard.

I finally settled on Nicole's, Delicious Breakfast Muffins.  I adapted the recipe slightly by adding some lemon juice, zest and extract to the batter.  


Lemon Muffins
adapted from Daily Dish Recipes 

2 eggs
2/3 c. oil
2/3 c. sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon + milk to equal 1 cup
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. lemon extract
1 t. vanilla extract

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, beat the eggs, oil, sugar and milk.  Lower the speed and stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda until just combined. Mix in the zest and extracts.  Divide between a 12 cup baking tin that has been treated with baking spray or lined with paper cups.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 15-17 minutes, or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.  Print Recipe


Here are the other Back to School Offerings





More Mouthwatering Muffins




#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

27 comments:

  1. Yum! I love lemon everything. These look like a tasty way to start the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love muffins and these would be a hit with both of them. They're also the perfect after-school snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please, to breakfast muffins! Especially with added lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting my join in the fun Stacy. I had these made and scheduled way before my vacation but was gone when I was supposed to add it to your feed.

      Delete
  4. Such cute little muffins! Love that they are lemon. Definitely a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely choice! I'm always tempted to add something extra to lemon muffins but these sound perfect just as they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I forced myself not to add poppyseeds to these muffins and was glad I chose to keep them simple.

      Delete
  6. These look good and I have some lemons sitting on my counter that need to be used!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muffins are hands down my favorite grab and go snack. I try to make a batch once a week. Great back to school pick. Happy Reveal Day! I had you thing month. We loved your pasta dish. My husband loved the bacon. I loved how easy and delicious it was to make and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, after school snack or dinner!! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemon is one of my favorite muffin flavors Wendy! They sound delicious and how fun that you did two events in one! Perfect for both themes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon is my FAVORITE!! My kiddos would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how muffins fit in perfectly with the themed SRC this month! Adding lemon to the muffins is a great way to keep that summer feel lasting into fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmuffins! Lemon is one of my favorite flavors, and this recipe looks fantastic! My Meyer Lemon tree is putting on quite a few lemons and I am going to save this recipe for the lemon harvest. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.