Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Simple Simon met a Pie man at Blogger CLUE Society

Each month a bunch of us get together to Cook-Learn-Undertake-Eat.  We call ourselves the Blogger CLUE Society.  We are assigned a theme and another member of the club.  We go onto that person's blog and look for a recipe that we would like to make within the parameters of the theme we were given.

This month's theme was Pie.  The possibilities are endless even if I hadn't been given one of the best food blogs in blogland.  Yep, I was assigned my friend, Stacy of Food Lust People Love who has literally hundreds of wonderful recipes from which to choose.  I could have made this wonderful Party Pecan Pie perfect for the fall  or my husband's favorite, Banana Cream Pie.  Perhaps, I felt like a Pizza Pie? Stacy has a great recipe for Pesto Pizza.  Maybe something savory....Mmmmm Slow Cooker Beef and Guinness Pie.  And then I found it!  Cauliflower, Leek and Roquefort Tart, perfect!
I had some cauliflower that needed using and I served this up for dinner on a Meatless Monday and enjoyed the leftovers for breakfast the following day. Thanks Stacy!


I made a few minor changes to Stacy's recipe.
I used half and half instead of heavy cream as that was what I had in the refrigerator.
I didn't have any green onions but I still had some chives in my garden.
I used Gruyere cheese instead of Roquefort because Frank doesn't care for Roquefort.


It was still delicious but I think I would have loved it with the Roquefort or a Blue Cheese.


Cauliflower and Leek Quiche
adapted from FoodLustPeopleLove

Pastry dough for one bottom pie crust
2 T. butter
2 large leeks, whites and light green parts, well washed and thinly sliced
1/2 medium cauliflower, hard stalks removed, thinly sliced
Sea salt
2 egg yolks
2 eggs
2/3 c half and half
1/2 c sour cream
Black pepper
1 bunch chives, chopped
6 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded

Blind bake crust by placing in a pie or tart pan, covering with a piece of parchment paper and filling with dry beans or baking .  Place in a preheated 350* oven for 15 min.  Remove parchment paper and beans. Return the crust to the oven for another 10 minutes.

While crust is blind baking, melt butter in a large saucepan over med high heat.  Add the leeks and cauliflower. Season with salt and cook and stir until tender and any juices released have evaporated. Set aside to cool.

Place eggs, yolks, half and half and sour cream in a large bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Season with the pepper and stir in the chives.

Place the vegetables into the pie crust and sprinkle the cheese over all.  Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the pie crust and return to the oven for 40-50 minutes, until puffed and golden.  Allow to sit for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Print Recipe


Here are the rest of the Pies we are sharing this month.


21 comments:

  1. Nice choice, Wendy! You cannot beat a savory pie with cheese and veggies! And thanks so much for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. This is a great recipe and we enjoyed it very much.

      Delete
  2. Oh, man, that cheesy topping reeled me in! What a fabulous quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I love savory pie and think it would be a great dish to make anytime - I love Stacy's food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some quiche!! Cheese, veggies, eggs....delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cauliflower is one of the go to ingredients I can count on my family enjoying! Perfect all recipe here to warm everyone right to their toes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got home from work a bit ago and I have to say this pie is making me SO hungry. Nice choice for CLUE society this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh lady you are killing me! Now I have to make this too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am such a big fan of leeks and find myself keeping just about any recipe that uses them. This is going to the top of the stack ... it looks phenomenal and would make an excellent Saturday morning brunch (which allows me to sleep in a bit).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds great! I love the meatless Monday option. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who would have thought the pie theme would have opened up so many possibilities? I was thinking we would simply see a lot of holiday pies (read pumpkin and pecan). Love the twist here, Wendy. Pizza pie sounds awesome as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love a good quiche! I made one this month as well. Allways gone in a flash. Like the idea of using cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.