Friday, November 27, 2015

Catching up on blogs instead of following my plan....Let's start with a Hungarian Pancake

Here it is the day after Thanksgiving.  I had scheduled this weekend to decorate for Christmas as next weekend we are having a get together for the people who work with Frank.  It is noon, I am still in my pj's and just now eating breakfast, scrambled eggs and kielbasa over homemade crescent rolls.


I can tell that I am getting older.  My back aches, my legs ache and my fingers feel like someone took a hammer to them.  So instead of decorating as planned, I was sitting here playing games on my computer.  I decided since I am on the computer anyway I may as well catch up here since I have a stockpile of recipes and blog posts that are waiting to be posted.

I am starting with a delicious new dinner I made the other night and told you about the other day.  A couple of weeks ago we went to our favorite Polish restaurant in Hamtramck.  I decided to order something new this time instead of my regular favorites so I ordered their Hungarian Pancake....I now have a new favorite!!  I brought my leftovers home and Frank had them for lunch the next day and he now has a new favorite as well.  He asked if I could make it and I told him I would give it a shot.


I did a google search and as luck would have it, Diners, Driveins and Dives, on the Food Network had showcased this restaurant and guess which recipe they shared??  Yep, their Hungarian Pancake recipe!  I was happy, happy, happy.  There was a disclosure on the recipe that Food Network had not made it and so could not verify the results.  I read the recipe, it sounded like what we had eaten so I adapted it to fit our family and the ingredients available and went for it.  Folk's......I don't want to brag but I think, I just think, it might be better than the restaurant's version.  This is going to become a regular in our household for sure.


The stew called for pork butt, I did have a pork butt roast but it would have made way too much stew and I didn't want to have a lot of leftover pork to use before Thanksgiving.  I was going to pull out a lb of pork stew meat but I came across a package of bone in pork chops first so pulled those out.  Cut the meat from the bones and used the scraps to make a soup that I will be sharing with you soon. I also deleted a jalapeno pepper because I didn't have any in my refrigerator.



The potato pancake recipe was easy, peasy and tasted exactly like those that we get from the restaurant.  This is going to be my new go to recipe for potato pancakes.

Hungarian Pancakes
slightly adapted from Polish Village Cafe

Stew:

4 pork chops, trimmed, removed from bones and cubed
2 t. paprika
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 carrots, scraped and sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 Hungarian wax pepper, seeded and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 (15 oz) can beef broth

Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 2-3 hrs or until pork is fork tender.  Alternatively, place in a crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hrs or low for 8-10 hrs.

Pancake:

1/2 of a small onion, chunked
3 potatoes peeled and chunked
4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. flour
vegetable oil for frying

Place onion and potatoes in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.  Pour into a large bowl and add eggs, salt, pepper and flour.  Batter should be thick but not too thick, add more flour if needed.  Heat oil in a large skillet over med high heat until hot.  Pour batter into skillet and cook until bottom is browned and top is partially set about 5-10 minutes. Flip out onto a plate and then flip the pancake from the plate into the skillet to brown the other side, about 5 or 6 minutes.

To serve:

Flip potato pancake onto a plate and top with the stew.  Garnish with sour cream if desired.  Cut pancake into 4 wedges and serve with additional sour cream.  Print Recipe












2 comments:

  1. Another yummy recipe. I was able to get my decorating done yesterday. Thankful for granddaughters old enough to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still working on it Paula. The outside lights are up, the first floor is decorated except for the staircase. The tree is half decorated and we haven't started on the basement yet. Oh well, company isn't arriving until Saturday LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.