Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Here is what's been happening in my life....

I didn't make it to my painting class on Saturday.  I had to get ready for our Thanksgiving basket distribution for the Food Pantry and going to painting class would have been stressful...that is not why I paint....I paint to lose myself and to relax.  We picked up our little snuggle bug and had a great evening.  We ate leftover deconstructed stuffed cabbage, she is an amazing eater, she loved it.



Sunday morning we went to Mass. Ting brought Melody and joined us. We sang and Melody screeched, and screeched and screeched.  We will be very happy when the screeching phase passes. We went to breakfast after Mass and then they hung out and spent the day with us.  I ended up making the Hungarian Pancakes for dinner since we had eaten meatballs the night before and didn't feel like the meatloaf so soon afterwards.  The Hungarian Pancakes were amazing and a story in themselves so I will be sharing them in another post.

Image result for thanksgiving basket distribution

Monday was a crazy, crazy day.  I left here early in the morning and didn't get home until late at night.  I was exhausted after the Thanksgiving distribution we had nearly 50 families that needed baskets this year.  That is more than last year.  I was hoping things would improve in 2015 here in Michigan but they seem to have gotten worse.

Tuesday was another busy day and since we had the Hungarian Pancakes on Sunday we were going to have the Meatloaf and Baked Potatoes for dinner tonight.  We got home too late for baked potatoes and had to eat before we left for choir so I made a dish that my Pops (and evidently every other person who has been in the military) called Sh*t on a Shingle.


My Mom used to make this for dinner quite often.  She didn't use leftovers.  She made it to make a small amount of meat go a long way because she had a family of 8 to feed each night.  Five of those eight were growing boys and men.  The other three were Mom, my sister and me.  My Mom and sister were never huge eaters but I could give those guys a run for their money.  I used the meatloaf that I had made earlier in the week.  I simply made a gravy, crumbled the meatloaf into it and served it over toast.  I don't know another name for it so I am calling it Sh*t on a Shingle.  Enjoy.

Sh*t on a Shingle

Leftover Meatballs or Meatloaf, crumbled (or 1 lb ground beef for each 4 persons, seasoned and browned)
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. beef broth
1 or 2 slices of bread for each person, toasted

Melt butter in a large skillet over med high heat.  Add the flour, salt and pepper.  Cook and stir until flour starts to brown and smells nutty.  Whisk in the beef broth.  Cook and stir until thickened.  Add the leftover meatballs or meatloaf and allow to cook until heated through.  Ladle beef and gravy over toast and serve. Print Recipe


Today we did some work around the house to prepare for Thanksgiving.  Then we met Nicole, Pierre and Amy for lunch.  Nicole and Pierre will not be able to join us for dinner tomorrow.  Nicole has to work for part of the day and then they will be seeing Pierre's Mom before having dinner with Nic's Mom and Anthony who also will not be able to join us for dinner.  Frank got to see him yesterday for lunch but I was busy at the food pantry.  

On the way home from lunch we stopped and got our Little Miss Melody because I was missing that little angel face.  We got home in time for our new furniture to be delivered.  I LOVE it!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.  Enjoy your day tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Your furniture is beautiful!! Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving. I am grateful to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.