Saturday, April 1, 2017

The Dance Recital, Lion's Head Meatballs and The Weekly Menu

Yesterday was Little Miss Melody's Dance Recital.  They danced to the song "Oh, What a Miracle".  I couldn't agree more and I think you will agree what a miracle these little darlings are when you watch the video.



This morning we are doing some Spring cleaning of the yard.  Let me tell you.....Four dogs can make a lot of damage to a yard, especially when 3 of them are monster dogs.  I have a feeling that, weather permitting, most of the week is going to be spent on yard work.


This past Thursday I made a new Asian recipe called Lion's Head Meatballs. I found numerous recipes for these meatballs during an internet search.  Some used pork, some used beef.  Some were fried, others were baked.  Some were served dry on lettuce leaves, others were served in a broth with cabbage.


I took a little of this and a little of that from each recipe/article that I read and created my own version.  I don't know how authentic it is but I do know that it was very tasty and will be made again and again.


The articles all seemed to agree that these meatballs were an imperial dish and often served to children as the meatballs, once cooked, looked like lions heads surrounded by a mane of cabbage. I didn't see it. All I saw was a delicious dinner waiting to be eaten.



I am sharing this Week's Menu and you will find the Lion's Head Meatball recipe, I developed, immediately following.

Weekly Menu


Saturday
Soup and Sandwiches

Sunday
Beef Roast
Mashed Potatoes
Glazed Carrots

Meatless Monday
Italian Spaghetti Squash Bake

Tuesday
Beef Pot Pie

Wednesday 
White Chicken Chili
Broccoli Cheddar Corn Muffins

Thursday
Stuffed Pork Loin
Roasted Red Skin Potatoes
Green Beans

Fish Friday
Church Fish Fry



Lion's Head Meatballs

1 lb ground pork
1/3 c. dry sherry
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
2 t. ginger paste
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. sesame oil
1 T. cornstarch
salt and pepper, to taste
cooking oil (I used peanut)
2 1/2 c. vegetable broth
1 T. soy sauce
1 head bok choy, leaves and tender stalks cut into thin slices
8 oz. mixed mushrooms, shitake, portabella and oyster
2 cups steamed rice

Place pork, sherry, garlic, scallion, egg, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch and salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Mix together, using clean hands and stirring in a circular motion, until the liquid is absorbed.  Form into golf ball size balls and set aside.  You should get 12 meatballs.

Heat about 2 inches of cooking oil in a wok over high heat.  Carefully, add the meatballs in batches, frying on one side while ladling cooking oil over the top.  When browned on the bottom, turn over and brown top side.  Remove to a plate and continue in this matter until all meatballs are browned.

Discard the oil and add the vegetable broth and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to the wok.  Return the meatballs to the wok and surround them with the bok choy and mushrooms.  Bring to a boil.  Cover the wok, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until pork is cooked through.

Place 1/2 c. rice into each of 4 shallow bowls.  Top with 2-3 meatballs, divide the cooking liquid and vegetables among the bowls, surrounding the meatballs with the bok choy, and serve. Print Recipe




4 comments:

  1. So cute. I loved how you danced with her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was cracking up at Amy and I in the audience. You can certainly tell that she is my daughter.

      Delete
  2. These look absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.