Saturday, November 4, 2017

An Instant Pot Recipe and the Weekly Menu that Isn't......

Frank got me an Instant Pot for my birthday at the end of August.  I have been using it and I love it.


I used it to make this wonderful, tender and flavorful Osso Bucco in the end of September but I've been so busy with blogging events that I haven't had an opportunity to share it before now.



One of my favorite aspects of the Instant Pot is that it has a setting that allows you to sear your food, right in the pot, whether using it as a pressure cooker or a slow cooker.  This not only saves dirtying another pan but it also saves dirtying your stove top and counters.  You know all those splatters you get when searing your food?  Well, the Instant Pot is deep enough that all of those splatters stay inside the pot.


Making a good Osso Bucco is all about layering the flavors and then braising it low and slow for many hours as I shared in this post using the oven.

This recipe uses a slightly different braising liquid of wine and beef broth instead of tomato sauce.  The great thing about these rustic recipes is that they adapt to whatever you have on hand.  I didn't have any tomato sauce this day but I had a ton of fresh tomatoes on my counter so I diced up a bunch and added them to the pot as well. 

You can also change up the seasonings to fit your taste or mood.  This time I just grabbed the jar of dried Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.

This dinner, normally reserved for days when we are staying home and relaxing can now be made in the Instant Pot.  I can still cook it low and slow using the slow cooker setting if we are going to be out and about during the day and want it ready when we get home or I can use the pressure setting, as I did this time, and have dinner on the table in a little over an hour.


I never would have believed that the meat would be fall of the bone tender in this short amount of time.  This dish was every bit as flavorful and lovely as when I braise it in the oven.   The recipe I am sharing at the bottom of this post is for two people, feel free to double or triple the recipe as needed.  I served the osso bucco over mashed potatoes this time but it is equally as good served over noodles.  

I am leaving in the wee morning hours tomorrow for Las Vegas with my daughter, Amy, sister in law, Roz and 3 friends.  This means Frank will be batching it on Sunday and Monday and going solo with the Angel Face on Tuesday.  I return late on Tuesday evening and then have a meeting early Wednesday morning.  I think we will probably grab dinner out after Melody's gymnastics class and have her Mom meet us at the restaurant.

Thursday we have our last choir practice before our concert on the 12th.  I will think about what we are having for dinner for that night and Friday when I get home on Wednesday.

I can probably guess that Frank will be making hot dogs and leftovers for himself and spaghetti for Melody on Tuesday.

Osso Bucco in an Instant Pot

2 meaty beef shanks
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. garlic infused olive oil (or plain olive oil and add a clove of garlic with the veggies)
1 small onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 carrots, scraped and sliced
1 t. Italian seasoning blend
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 c. red wine
1 c. beef broth

Pat beef shanks dry and season with salt and pepper.  Heat the olive oil in the instant pot on the sauté setting.  When hot, sear the beef shanks, about 5 minutes per side.  Remove to a plate and set aside.  Add the onions, carrot, celery and seasoning to the instant pot and stir, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom, for about 4-5 minutes, until veggies start to soften.  Add the tomatoes and red wine, cook and stir until slightly reduced. Add the beef broth and return the shanks to the pot.  

Seal and cook, using the pressure setting, for 1 hour.  Allow the pot to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes before using the quick release method until the pressure gauge is seated.  Open carefully.  Remove any bones and fat from the mixture and serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.   Print Recipe




4 comments:

  1. Second Instant Pot post I've see in the last thirty minutes. I have a friend that is more than obsessed with hers. Dish looks amazing, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having a great time in Las Vegas. I have wondered about those instant pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have fun Paula. A lot of laughs and a lot of walking.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.