Sunday, November 19, 2017

Flavors of Fall Salad #FabulousFallBounty

All you squash fans out there, raise your hands.  I've raised both of mine.  I LOVE squash and we eat a lot of it in season.  Summer squash and zucchini in the warm months.  Butternut, acorn, pumpkin, spaghetti and delicata squash in the winter months.  So delicious and so nutritious as well.


So I was thrilled when Melissa's Produce provided me with several squash to use in our Fabulous Fall Bounty Event, hosted by Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  All opinions in this post and on this entire blog are 100% my own.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on that squash and get cooking.  I used up the Delicata before this event ever had a chance to start.  I roasted it up along with some of the fingerling potatoes and served it alongside these Lemon Breaded Pork Chops.  They were so delicious that I made the exact same dish again to serve with a Maple Glazed Ham Steak that I will be sharing with you another time.



Today, though, I want to share how I used the Butternut squash in this Flavors of Fall salad that will be perfect on your Thanksgiving Table.


I love adding squash to my salads.  Normally, I roast the squash but this salad, found at Food&Wine,  calls for a different preparation.

It has you saute the squash on the stove top.  This save quite a bit of time and frees up your oven for the turkey that needs  to roast for hours.   

I adapted this recipe to include some of my favorite things, like rainbow chard.   Sauteeing on the stove top means that you can also add in some of the chard stems to get tender as well.   They add such beautiful color and texture to your salad.


The sweet softness of the squash, the bitterness of the radicchio, the saltiness of the pepitas and the crunchiness of the pecans combine to make this a salad about which your guests will rave and that your family will request year after year.

Flavors of Fall Salad
adapted from Food&Wine

7 T. peanut oil
1 peeled butternut squash, cut into 1" cubes
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. chopped fresh tarragon
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped, leaves separated from stems
Mixed salad greens, to include radicchio
1 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
1/2 c. roasted and salted pepitas

In a large skillet, heat 2 T. of the oil over med high heat.  Add the squash in an even layer. Season with salt and pepper and let cook until browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes.  Turn over the squash pieces, add the chard stems and let cook until squash is tender and browned on both sides and chard is tender but still vibrantly colored.  Set aside to cool.

Place the remaining 5 T. of oil in a jar with the vinegar, tarragon, parsley and season with salt and pepper.  Seal the jar and shake until well blended.

Place the chard leaves, salad greens, pecans, pepitas, squash and chard stems in a large bowl.  Add the dressing and toss well to coat.  

More Fabulous Fall Bounty Recipes






5 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking salad! So many colors, flavors and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful salad. I love squash too. All kinds. We eat a lot of spaghetti squash here. Well I do! And Justin if he's here. I love to just steam it and eat it with butter and salt/pepper! Yummy! And of course with spaghetti sauce as another way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the addition of squash, nuts and pepitas

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.