Friday, November 10, 2017

Cherry Tarts ala The Weekend Wife: A Book Review and The Weekly Menu #FoodiesRead

I enjoyed a quick, easy read that I wanted to share with you.  This book was recommended by James Patterson whose work I enjoy.  I decided that if he were endorsing this book then it was probably worth the time to read it.

Image result for the weekend wife james patterson

It is part of his BookShots series, where he recommends fast reads for under $5 and less than 150 pages.  Perfect for when you want a quick read for a lazy afternoon or on an airplane flight. 

This was the first novel I have read written by Ciotta.  It was a fun little romantic love story that held my interest.  I read it in one weekend, picking it up whenever I found myself with some spare time.  It takes place in Tuscany so right there it was a book after my own heart.  It featured a grandmother who loved to cook, another plus.  

It, of course, has the perfect couple who don't realize that they are perfect and obstacles that get in the way but you know, right from the start, that this is going to be a story with a happy ending.



One of my favorite parts was when Megan is getting to know Nick's grandmother who lives in Tuscany and she teaches Megan how to make cherry tarts.  I think being in the kitchen with someone is the perfect way to spend time getting to know each other.

I made these little tarts for our friend, Chris, who is coming to dinner tomorrow evening.  I hope he enjoys them as much as I enjoyed this book.


I will be sharing this recipe and book review over at Foodies Read 2017.  Come check out what everyone else is reading this month.



There is really not much of a recipe for these tarts.  I used store bought crust and canned cherry pie filling as I was out of my Homemade Cherry Pie Filling.  I added a half teaspoon of almond extract to the canned filling before filling the shells.

Cherry Tarts

1  refrigerated pie crust
2 (21 oz) cans cherry pie filling
1/2 t. almond extract

Measure your tart pans and using a cutter or sharp knife cut out rounds from the unrolled pie crusts to fit the tart pans.

Combine the pie filling and almond extract.  Divide between the tarts.  Place tart pans on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425* oven for about 20-30 minutes. Until crusts are golden brown and filling is bubbly. Print Recipe

Weekly Menu 11/11 - 11/17


Sunday is our Choir Concert, I am making a Cranberry Coffee Cake to be served at the reception following the concert and then we will go out for dinner.  Dessert before dinner is allowed every once in a while.

Monday evening we have a meeting at church and Wednesday I have Food Pantry after which we will be going over to Amy's to celebrate Melody's Christening Anniversary. I am bringing dessert.

We are celebrating #CranberryWeek in our Festive  Foodies Event Planning group, so stay tuned for lots of wonderful recipes containing these little powerhouse berries.

So here is my Weekly Menu.  Please stop by each day as I share recipes and photos.

Saturday-Chris for Dinner
Beet Salad with Creamy Coffee Dressing
Surf and Turf 
Mashed Potatoes
Steamed Broccoli
Cherry Tarts

Sunday
Out for Dinner after Concert

Meatless Monday
Beet Shakshuka

Toddler Tuesday
Mac and Cheese

Wednesday-Dinner at Amy's
Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake

Thursday
Chicken Teriyaki Subs

Fish Friday
Lime Chili Scallops
Scallion Rice
Stir Fried Veggies









4 comments:

  1. I love cherries any form. Simple recipes like this hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little tarts look wonderful, and the book sounds like a cozy comforting read as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a quick easy read Claudia. Perfect for a free evening or weekend.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.