I love sushi, but I think all that rolling and making it look gorgeous is a lot of work. So I tend to make sushi bowls at home and enjoy the art when dining out. All the same great flavors without all the work.
- Arroz de Pato by Culinary Cam
- Bhuga Chawal by Mayuri's Jikoni
- Cheesy Rice by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Crab Sushi Bowl by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Crispy Rice Cereal Brittle by A Messy Kitchen
- Fried Rice with Crab and Peas by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Hubble Bubble Pumpkin Rice Pot by Food Lust People Love
- Varicha Bhat by Sneha's Recipe

Crab Sushi Bowl
I love sushi, but I think all that rolling and making it look gorgeous is a lot of work. So I tend to make sushi bowls at home and enjoy the art when dining out. All the same great flavors without all the work.
Ingredients
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 2 T. orange juice
- 1 T. honey
- 1 T. seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 T. toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 t. ginger paste
- 5 T. mayonnaise
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 T. tahini
- 8 oz. lump crab meat, picked over
- 1 scallion, white and light green part, sliced
- 2 c. warm cooked sushi rice
- 1/2 c. shredded carrots
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced seedless cucumber, unpeeled
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds, for garnish, if desired
Instructions
- Whisk together the oil, orange juice, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, a pinch of salt and the ginger paste. Set aside.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add the crabmeat and scallions. Stir to combine.
- Place 1 cup of the sushi rice in a bowl, surround it with half the crab, carrots, and cucumbers, and drizzle with half the dressing. Repeat in a second bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve.
Notes
adapted from a recipe found at Food Network
Nutrition Facts
Calories
934Fat (grams)
67 gSat. Fat (grams)
10 gCarbs (grams)
55 gFiber (grams)
4 gNet carbs
51 gSugar (grams)
13 gProtein (grams)
27 gSodium (milligrams)
1301 mgCholesterol (grams)
62 mg





Sushi really is a chore but every once in a while, I bite the bullet and do it. Your bowls are a much easier idea, Wendy! Great combo of flavors!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Stacy.
DeleteI've never actually tried making sushi on my own. This is a great way to get the flavors without all of the work!
ReplyDeleteFor sure, Karen.
DeleteI love the combination of flavors in this bowl. Thanks for the inspiration.
ReplyDeleteOf course, Cam.
DeleteWe have done hand rolled sushi maybe ONCE. This is such a better option! Sharing with my youngest who is a sushi fiend.
ReplyDeleteI hope she enjoys it, Kelly.
DeletePerfect lunchbox recipe and easy to make!
ReplyDeleteYes.
DeleteWendy what a brilliant idea. I love sushi but don't have the patience to roll them. Love this sushi bowl idea. Can add meat or fish for hubby and tofu for myself.
ReplyDeletePerfect, Mayuri.
Delete