Saturday, February 15, 2020

Green Gumbo #SoupSaturdaySwappers

This Green Gumbo is made with assorted fresh greens instead of okra and is served with trinity rice for a filling, nutritious one dish meal that will have your family requesting seconds.


Welcome to this month's edition of Soup Saturday Swappers.......


Sue of Palatable Pastime invited us to get ready for Mardi Gras by sharing Gumbo recipes with our readers today.  Let's take a look at what everyone cooked up for us.......

I was a little concerned as I have previously shared Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo, and Venison Gumbo Goulash.  I was thinking of making a Seafood Gumbo of some sort and I may still do that but, as I was thumbing through and old issue of Cuisine at Home, I came across a recipe for Green Gumbo with Trinity Rice that I knew my family would love.


I did adapt this recipe in several ways.  I decreased the ingredients to make less servings.  I used baby greens to cut down on the cooking time and I omitted the gumbo file as I was unable to locate any in my grocers.

This is a delicious, mild gumbo which made my husband happy.  I had hot sauce on the table which made the Teen happy  too.



#soup, #gumbo, #chicken, #bacon, #greens, #rice,
Entrees, Soups, Stews, Holidays, Mardi Gras
Creole, Cajun, Southern
Yield: 6 servings
Author:

Green Gumbo with Trinity Rice

Green Gumbo with Trinity Rice

This Green Gumbo is made with assorted fresh greens instead of okra and is served with trinity rice for a filling, nutritious one dish meal that will have your family requesting seconds.
prep time: 20 Mcook time: 30 Mtotal time: 50 M

ingredients:

  • 1/2 lb bacon, diced
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 1 t. dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (5 oz) pkg. assorted baby greens, I used spinach, chard and kale mixture
  • 1/4 c. chopped parsley
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1/2 stalk celery, diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 c. converted white rice
  • 1 (14 oz)  can chicken broth
  • pinch of salt
  • Diced tomatoes and Sliced Scallions, for garnish

instructions:

How to cook Green Gumbo with Trinity Rice

  1. Cook bacon over med high heat in a dutch oven until crisp.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.  Reserve the drippings.
  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Sear in  2 T. of the bacon drippings until browned, about 2 minutes.  Remove to a plate and set aside.
  3. Add the onion to the pot and cook until softened, stir in the garlic and cook a minute longer.  Add the flour and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes before whisking in the broth.  Add the thyme and bay leaf to the pot along with the chicken and any juices.  Bring to a boil and stir in the greens.  Reduce heat to low and simmer while you make the rice.
  4. Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over med high heat.  Add the onion, celery and green pepper.  Cook for a couple of minutes then stir in the rice.  Add the chicken broth and salt.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and let sit for 10 more minutes.
  5. Stir the lemon juice and hot sauce into the gumbo. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.  Serve gumbo with the rice, garnished with the bacon, diced tomatoes and sliced scallions.

NOTES:

adapted from a recipe found at Cuisine at Home, Issue #85
Calories
462.47
Fat (grams)
22.57
Sat. Fat (grams)
6.79
Carbs (grams)
29.46
Fiber (grams)
4.98
Net carbs
24.49
Sugar (grams)
8.99
Protein (grams)
37.50
Sodium (milligrams)
2307.49
Cholesterol (grams)
133.80
Created using The Recipes Generator


5 comments:

  1. This sounds sooooo good! I did find some filé at Ralph's (the Kroger out here) and grabbed, and then didn't use it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find it but since it only called for a teaspoon for a full pot and I was only making half a pot I figured we wouldn't miss it. We didn't.

      Delete
  2. I love the greens in there. It always makes for a good soup. Reminds me of Spring!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.