Tuesday, February 4, 2020

One Skillet Cabbage Dinner #CooktheBooks

One skillet, items normally available in your refrigerator or pantry, 20 minutes and YUM!!


I was inspired to make this dinner while reading the novel Pomegranate Soup for our Cook the Books Club.

Every other month a group of us get together and read a book assigned by one of the 4 co-hosts of Cook the Books Club.  Simona of Briciole is hosting this month and chose the novel Pomegranate Soup.

Current Selection

There is still a LOT of time for you to join in the fun.  You can learn all about how to join in Simona's Invitation Post and the CTB Guidelines.

This novel follows a family of three girls who fled their native Iran to find refuge in Ireland..  The girls open a Persian Restaurant in a small town and are met with varying degrees of welcome from the residents.  

You get to know each of the residents as well as the back story of the Aminpour Sisters.  You will love some and you will hate some but you will, definitely become involved with all of them and their lives.

I enjoyed this novel very much and the food descriptions of the meals prepared in this restaurant were heavenly.  There were recipes included and they are going to be made here very shortly.  So you might wonder why I didn't make Persian food to share with you today. 

I ask myself the same thing. I absolutely adore Persian food but as I read a common thread that ran through this small town was that all the residents were sick and tired of eating cabbage for dinner.  As luck would have it, I had planned on having this Skillet Cabbage Dinner during the week I was reading this novel and it fit in so perfectly that I had to share it.

This is not a serious read, however it does deal with some serious issues.  It will make you laugh and it will make you cry.  It is filled with some fanciful fantasy and light magic that may just not be impossible.......


I'm sure I wouldn't want a steady diet of cabbage dishes but we do eat cabbage in this household a couple of times a month.  We love cabbage and this easy dinner is a definite keeper.  Saute it all up in one skillet, top it with cheese and put it in the oven.


When it is all ooey and gooey and melted it is ready to be served up.  Perfect weeknight dinner.  Delicious and on the table in less than half an hour.


I'm really looking forward to seeing what recipes this novel inspires the others to create.  Simona will share a round up of all the recipes at the end of March so stay tuned for that.


I am also sharing this post over at Foodies Read where you can learn all about what foodies are reading and eating this month.



#pork, #onepotmeals, #cabbage, #quick, #easy,
Entrees, Pork. One Pot Meals
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author:

One Skillet Cabbage Dinner

One Skillet Cabbage Dinner

One skillet, items normally available in your refrigerator or pantry, 20 minutes and YUM!!
prep time: 5 Mcook time: 20 Mtotal time: 25 M

ingredients:

  • 2 T. butter
  • 1 (13 oz) pkg. smoked sausage, sliced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 small head of cabbage, cored and sliced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

instructions:

How to cook One Skillet Cabbage Dinner

  1. Melt butter in a large, oven safe skillet over med high heat.  Add the sausage and brown on both sides.  Add the onions, garlic, red pepper and cabbage.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook and stir until vegetables soften. Stir in the tomatoes.
  2. Top with the cheese and place in a preheated 400* oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.   
Calories
260.19
Fat (grams)
19.24
Sat. Fat (grams)
10.19
Carbs (grams)
9.58
Fiber (grams)
1.70
Net carbs
7.87
Sugar (grams)
4.22
Protein (grams)
13.36
Sodium (milligrams)
610.62
Cholesterol (grams)
53.58
Created using The Recipes Generator



15 comments:

  1. You had me with the cabbage and smoked sausage combo and then you added the ooey-gooey cheese! :) I can't wait to start this book (but I have a couple to finish before I will allow myself to crack another book). Thanks for starting out this round of CTB by posting first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Marsha Mehran before, but not Pomegranate Soup so I might give this book a try after seeing your review.
    Cabbage was pretty much an ignored vegetable for us until I learned Not just to cook it by boiling it to blandness! I like to skillet cook it with potatoes and onion, spiced with chili, cumin and turmeric. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound delicious. I have never tried those seasonings. You may also want to pan fry it with onions and butter and toss with egg noodles. YUM

      Delete
  3. I make a skillet cabbage with sausage dinner pretty regularly, but like your version better, putting it in the oven with cheese. Oh yes, Cheese! I've got the book on my stack and looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cabbage is one vegetable we don't cook very much at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are big cabbage lovers her Marge but there are tons of wonderful recipes in this book if you care to read it.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your review, Wendy and I am with you about cabbage: not something I would want to eat every day but it is a kind of comfort food and I like to make it when I need sustenance. I like your recipe! Thank you so much for contributing to this edition of Cook the Books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks filling and delicious. And I have sausage and cabbage in my fridge right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Wendy. I happen to have cabbage and sausage so that could be one of our isolation meals upcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom's family is Hungarian, and a favorite friday dish is a cabbage skillet meal. In their case it's prepared with dumplings. Same idea as this recipe and so yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I can see that. My Grandma was Czech and Mother in Law was Polish hence our love of cabbage.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.