Friday, April 19, 2024

The Cruellest Month and the Weekly Menu

I recently listened to the third book in the Chief Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penney.  In between books 2 and 3, I watched the series, Three Pines, based on this series.  

The Cruellest Month
The story this time takes place during the Easter Season. I thought it was interesting as we had just finished Easter here this year.  Easter usually takes place in April but this year it was the earliest it could be so we celebrated on the last day of March.

However, April this year has been weird if not cruel.  We have had snow one day and 70* the following, we have suffered earthquakes, we have had a solar eclipse and we have had less days of April showers but more rain when it happens.

Having been enjoying these novels I decided to watch the series.  I was excited to watch it.  In my mind's eye, I was expecting a quaint little town filled with quirky, fun individuals and a wonderfully competent Chief Inspector who resolved all the problems with grace and finesse.....I was expecting Hallmark and I got American Horror Story (Well, Canadian Horror Story, but you get my point).

The series was very dark and the characters were not at all as quirky and wonderful as I have found them to be in the novels.  I won't share any more as I don't want to give any spoilers but suffice it to say that now I am a little nervous about continuing this series in case the darkness of the series was justified.....

This story starts with a seance being held by the townsfolk on Good Friday.  It was unsuccessful and the witch who was conducting the seance said it was because the cafe where the village gathers together nearly daily was too friendly and happy a setting.  

They decide instead, to hold the seance at the old Hadley place, where at least one murder has occurred and is purported to be haunted.  Before the seance, everyone gathers for a potluck at Clara and Peter's House where there is a buffet that includes Shrimp Cocktail.

Appetizer Buffet

My Easter Appetizer Buffet this year included Shrimp Cocktail as well.  While I didn't make any recipes inspired by the book this time, I thought I would share my appetizer buffet with you.

One of the participants dies during the seance and at first, it is believed that she had been scared to death, however, the coroner's report indicates that she had Ephedra in her system which was the main cause of death.  

Chief Inspector Gamache arrives in town with his crew and the investigation begins.  

I have a couple other books to finish before I go on with this series.  I'm hoping some time passing will help to rid me of the television series memories. I am linking up with Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the other foodies are reading this month.

Sunday we are taking the Angel Face to see The Wizard of Oz on stage at the local theater in town.  Amy, Doug, Marissa, and Aiden are joining us.  We will grab dinner out after the show.  Wednesday is Jessica's birthday, Thursday is Chuck's birthday and Friday is Max's birthday.  Jessica is the only one living nearby so we will get together with her to celebrate on Friday evening.

Thursday night we are going to see Mama Mia the Musical downtown Detroit and will have dinner before the show.  Friday is also the anniversary of my dear friend Kirsten being called to heaven.  She will be with us in spirit.  She is always near my side and in my heart.

Here is my Weekly Menu.  What are you serving this week?

Soup Saturday
Instant Pot Bean and Smoked Pork Soup

Sunday
Out for dinner after Wizard of Oz

Meatless Monday
Vegetarian Pizzas

Taco Tuesday
Smoked Carne Asada
Rice and Beans

Wednesday
Mishkak
Rice

Thursday 
Out for dinner before Mama Mia

Fish Friday-Jessica's Birthday Dinner
Fried Perch
Macaroni and Cheese
Tater Tots
Cole Slaw
Bean Salad
Strawberry Lemonade Cake












No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.