Thursday, April 4, 2024

Queen Bees....The Round-up #Movies and Munchies

 I hosted our Movies and Munchies group this month and chose the movie Queen Bees an older generation rom/com that takes place in a retirement community.  It was a lot of fun and everyone who joined in had great reviews.  They were also inspired to make some wonderful recipes that I am sharing with you today.

Queen Bees
Cam of Culinary Cam was the first to post her review coming in on the very first day of the month with this amazing Creole Cheeseball.

Creole Cheeseball

Cam thought the movie was entertaining and was happy there were many food scenes.  This recipe was inspired by one such scene.  Cam writes:

But what inspired me into the kitchen was from the surprise birthday party for Janet. Helen is trying to get the other residents to join in. 

Woman 1: Will there be cheese balls? 
Woman 2: If we're going to a party for that cow, there better be cheese balls. 
Helen: There will be cheese balls. 
Woman 2: And nuts. I like nuts on my balls. 


Cannoli Pie

I came in next with my introduction post and a Cannoli Pie that I posted on 3.14 better known in the blogging world as Pie Day.  I was happy that there was pie mentioned several times in this fun film and that I posted this recipe in my invitation post.  I had intended to make Maruya (Banana Fritters) for my inspiration but then the holidays happened and the Maruya didn't.

Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures joined in the fun next saying:
I was skeptical at first, but the movie turned out to be funny and delightful as the characters find that the retirement community is full of cliques, drama, and even romance!


Cucumber Sandwiches

I'm so glad you enjoyed it Amy and I'm very glad you shared this recipe for Cucumber Sandwiches inspired by a scene early in the film. 

Debra of Eliot's Eats joined in at the end of the month with these amazing Merlot and Dark Chocolate Brownies. Inspired by a scene that featured Merlot wine with Chocolate.

Merlot and Dark Chocolate Brownies

Deb wasn't crazy about the movie saying:

I have to say I have mixed feeling about this movie. I kept thinking that I had seen these actors do better; I had seen these actors do more. Seriously, we’re talking The Godfather to SNL. Then there’s Burstyn, the winner of Oscar, Emmy, and Tony Awards.

 I guess I remember these artists’ greatness and this film just wasn’t that. It was heartwarming but a bit predictable.

 It also may be important to add that I have been trying to get a parent to consider moving into a retirement community and I totally did NOT want to identify with Helen’s daughter!

 Anywhoo, not my favorite BUT I don’t feel like I wasted an afternoon of viewing.

That's our roundup for March.  This month Cam is hosting our group and invited us to join her in watching any of the Big Fat Greek Wedding films since the third one was released in September of last year.  

You are welcome to join in the fun and you need not be a food blogger.  Just watch the film, make a dish inspired by the film and post it on your blog or on instagram if you don't have a blog.  If you would like to join us please comment below so that I can invite you to join our Facebook group.


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting, Wendy! We had one more member this month! Yea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I don't know how to get more interest in this group.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.