Saturday, September 1, 2018

Pappardelle al Ragu Di Cinghiale and a Monsanto Chianti Classico #ItalianFWT

Welcome the Fall Season with this scrumptious, slow braised Ragu Di Cinghiale, served over fresh Egg Pasta and paired with a Classic Chianti wine.  Life doesn't get any better than this.


Join the Italian Food Wine Travel gang as we share our favorite Fall wines from Italy.......


When our friends, Jill and Jason, of L'Occasion invited us to share our favorite Italian Wine to enjoy as Fall settles in around us, I knew that I was grabbing a bottle of Chianti.


Fall screams comfort food, and to me, nothing is more comforting than a bowl of pasta, crusty bread and a glass of Chianti wine.

Before I talk more about my favorite Fall Wine, let's see what the others have chosen to share with us today.  We will all be discussing our choices on twitter chat today at 11 AM ET.  We would love for you to join us following #ItalianFWT.  



We recently purchased a hog from our friends, the Reumenapps.  Our freezer is chock full of bacon, sausage, chops, roasts, ham, ground pork and stew meat.  Pork is perfect for slow braising and my mouth was watering for a great pork Ragu.  

The great thing about Ragu (Sauce) is that you can use any combination of ingredients you have on hand.  I have shared a recipe for Orecchiette with Pork Ragu, using ground pork that contained no tomatoes at all.  I have also shared this recipe that contains only onions and tomatoes.



The recipe I am sharing today is meant to be made with wild boar (Cinghiale).  I substituted pork stew meat. This recipe is not only different in the cut of meat used but also in the preparation.  You first marinate the meat overnight in red wine and chopped veggies before searing and braising. 

I began my sauce, in the morning, using my Instant Pot, first on the saute setting and then on the slow cook setting.


Once the sauce was assembled and placed in the slowcooker for the long run, I went to the market to find the wine.  This bottle from Castello di Monsanto was recommended by the wine rep at an International Market where I like to shop.  I grabbed a bottle and also a loaf of Paesano bread because I am a carboholic.  The pasta used in this recipe was also hand made by employees of this market place and kept fresh in the refrigerated section.


When it was time for dinner, I took the lid off of the Instant Pot and returned it to the saute setting, allowing the liquid to reduce and the sauce to thicken.   The sauce was a perfect consistency in the approximate 20 minutes it took to boil the water and cook the pasta.

I poured myself a glass of the Monsanto Chianti during this portion of the preparation.  I was surprised how light it felt in the mouth yet leaving behind an impressive dry finish.  I, personally, love wines that leave my mouth with a "chalky" feel at the finish.


I was extremely pleased with my Fall Food and Wine Pairing.  I can't wait for Fall to arrive so that I can repeat this experience.  

In the meanwhile, I'm going to go out and enjoy the Last Hurrah of Summer.   More about that in my post tomorrow.  See you then.


#ItalianFWT, #Italianwines, #Italian, #pasta, #pork, #braised, #sauce, #ragu, #tomatoes, #instantpot, #slowcooker,
Pasta, Italian, Braised, Slow Cooker, Instant Pot, Pork
Italian
Yield: 4-6Pin it

Pappardelle al Ragu Di Cinghiale

Welcome the Fall Season with this scrumptious, slow braised Ragu Di Cinghiale, served over fresh Egg Pasta and paired with a Classic Chianti wine. Life doesn't get any better than this.

ingredients:

Marinade:
1 lb. pork stew meat
1/2 lg, sweet onion, cut into chunks 
1 small carrot, cut into chunks
1 rib celery, cut into chunks
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 sprigs marjoram
1 bay leaf
1 c. dry red wine

Ragu:
salt and pepper, to taste
2 T. olive oil
1/2 lg. sweet onion, cut into chunks
2  cloves garlic, peeled
1 small carrot, cut into chunks
1 rib celery cut into chunks
1 bay leaf
splash of brandy
3/4 c. dry red wine
1 c. beef stock
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 T. tomato paste
1 lb. fresh or dried pappardelle

instructions:

Marinade:
Place the meat, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, marjoram and bay leaf in a gallon size plastic bag that seals.  Pour in the wine and release air so all ingredients are submerged.  Place in the refrigerator overnight, turning once or twice.

Ragu:
Remove the meat from the bag.  Discard wine and veggies.  Dry the meat, as much as possible, with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.

If using an Instant Pot, set to saute setting and add the oil. Otherwise, heat the oil in a large dutch oven over med high heat.  Brown the pork in the oil.  This should take about 4-5 minutes per side.

While meat is browning, place the onion, garlic, carrots and celery into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  When meat is brown, add the vegetables to the pot.  Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring for a few minutes.

Add the Brandy and cook until evaporated, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Add the wine and cook for a few minutes longer, then  incorporate the beef stock, tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaf.

If using the Instant Pot, cancel the saute setting and set to slow cook.  Cover with slow cook lid or with the provided lid that has been opened to allow venting.  Otherwise, reduce the heat under the Dutch Oven to simmer, partially cover and braise for 2-3 hrs., stirring occasionally.

Bring  a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta per package instructions.

If using the Instant Pot, about 20 minutes before ready to serve, remove the lid, cancel the slow cook and return to the saute setting.  Let the Ragu, cook until desired consistency is reached.  If the sauce in the Dutch oven is too thick, add a 1/2 c. of the pasta cooking water to the sauce.

Drain the pasta and plate.  Remove the bay leaf from the Ragu and smother the pasta with the sauce.

NOTES:

This dish takes some work and a lot of time.  Most of it is hands off time during the marination and slow cooking but you still have to plan ahead.  It is well worth the effort.
Created using The Recipes Generator









12 comments:

  1. Wow! What a dish to ring in the season. Pappardelle al Cinghiale is one of R's absolutely favorite dishes. And yours looks fabulous, Wendy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a whole line of grapes close behind Nebbiolo for me, and Sangiovese (via Chianti Classico) is at the front of the pack. I haven't broken down and purchased an Instant Pot, I'm so attached to my dutch ovens. I'd love to hear your thoughts sometime. Is the Instant Pot truly equal, or just more convenient and quicker (which is useful too!)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it is cold out and I have a full day to play in the kitchen, nothing beats my dutch oven and a slow braise on the stove or in the oven. But when I don't have time or it is too hot to turn the oven on the Instant Pot or a Slow Cooker is indispensable to me.

      Delete
  3. Love this recipe using the Instant Pot! We love ours and look forward to trying this recipe when the weather around here cools off! I've got Chianti around too to pair with it! Thanks for the inspiration and recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing Wendy! I'm more jealous of your fridge full of pork, though. It's a good thing you live far away - otherwise my husband would be at your front door every day, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed Monsanto when I had it years ago. Cinghiale or wild boar is my favorite dish of Tuscany when I'm there. I haven't tried an instapot but I read about it so often. I'm a crock pot girl during the week sometimes with our crazy lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the nice thing about the Instant Pot is that it can be used as a slow cooker also plus you can use the saute setting to brown right in the same pot. Less dishes always makes me happy.

      Delete
  6. The instant pot seems to be gaining popularity for sure! I have the slow cooker, but not the instant pot yet...
    Who doesn't love Chianti and pasta with ragù! Ready for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....unfortunately it is near 100 degrees in Michigan right now LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.