Thursday, March 14, 2024

Cannoli Pie for Pi Day and #MoviesandMunchies

I was originally going to make Maruya (Banana Fritters) for this month's Movies and Munchies post but then I decided to post on Pi(e) Day.  Since there was a ton of food to choose from inspired by the Netflix film Queen Bees, pie being one of the many items, I decided to celebrate Pi Day with a movie review.

Queen Bees
Yes, that is Ann Margaret, Jane Curtin, Ellen Burstyn, and Loretta Devine.  When I was channel surfing, looking for something to watch one evening, I came upon this movie on Netflix.  With a cast like this, how could I pass it up?

Ellen Burstyn accidentally starts her house on fire and, much to her dismay, must move into a senior living complex.  There she is met by a group of "mean girls" and she feels as if she is right back in high school again.

She also meets (James Caan) who quickly becomes a love interest.  Of course, there are all the typical twists and turns that you would expect in a rom/com set in a retirement home and it has a happy ending as we knew it would.  I laughed out loud numerous times during this movie and enjoyed it so much that I asked the others to watch along with me, this time with my foodie goggles on. 

Cannoli Pie

In one of the scenes, Burstyn is taken back to her home after her breakup with James Caan.  She is transported by a home employee (Alec Mapa) of whom she has grown quite fond.  He offers her Maruya that his wife had made for him, assuring him that they contained no calories.  I was intrigued and conducted a Google search learning that Maruya is a Filipino Banana Fritter.

So my mind was made up that this is what I would make but then, as I was setting up my posts for this month, I noticed that I had scheduled this post to go live on 3.14 better known as PI(e) day in the blogging world.

Cannoli Pie

I remembered that I had made this pie for dessert when I was entertaining a while back intending to post it for Pi Day.  Luckily Pie was one of the many foods served up in this film.

This pie has all the wonderful flavors that we love to enjoy but in pie form.  It was a huge hit at my dinner party and I'm sure even the "mean girls" at the retirement village couldn't find any criticism for this delicious dessert.

Cannoli Pie pin

Movies and Munchies is a fun group that gets together each month to watch a movie chosen by one of the members.  We then share a review of the movie and a recipe that it inspired.  You need not be a blogger, you can share your recipe on Instagram and still be included in the round-up that the host posts at the end of the month.

If you would like to join us you can leave your information in the comments below. Then watch the film, create a blog or Instagram post with your movie-inspired dish, and let me know so that I can include it when I post the round-up and my recipe for Maruya at the end of the month. 


Desserts, Pie, No Bake, Cannoli, Creamy
Desserts
Italian Inspired
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Cannoli

Cannoli

This dessert takes all the things you love about Cannoli and puts them into a flaky pie shell.
Prep time: 15 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 prebaked bottom pie crust
  • 3/4 c. heavy cream
  • 8 oz. Mascarpone cheese
  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar + more for garnish
  • 1 c. ricotta cheese
  • zest of one orange
  • miniature chocolate chips, for garnish

Instructions

  1. In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream for a few minutes, until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
  2. In a second bowl, cream together the Mascarpone cheese and sugar, until creamy.
  3. Add the Ricotta cheese and orange zest and mix just until incorporated.
  4. Fold in the whipped cream gently by hand with a spatula in two or three batches until the filling is light and fluffy.
  5. Place into the pie shell and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Garnish with the chocolate chips and powdered sugar before serving.

Notes

adapted from a recipe found at Everyday Pie and Pastry

Nutrition Facts

Calories

385.75

Fat (grams)

30.4 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

17.39 g

Carbs (grams)

20.43 g

Fiber (grams)

0.69 g

Net carbs

19.72 g

Sugar (grams)

8.15 g

Protein (grams)

7.44 g

Sodium (milligrams)

134.84 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

69.39 mg

2 comments:

  1. Love this and pi day totally came and went without notice here. I'm working on my post and recipe today. Should be up next week.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.