Monday, August 15, 2022

Hoppin' John and a Book Review

I had the Blue Plate Special, An Autobiography by Kate Christensen on my bookshelf for quite a few years now.  I'm not positive but I think I got it from my friend Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla. 

Blue Plate Special

I pulled it off the shelf one day as I headed out to the pool.......
It was okay.  If you don't have anything else to read it will not bore you to death but if, like me, you have 2 shelves filled with books waiting to be read, you might wish you had chosen a different one.

Kate tells her and her family's story starting with her first memories of her father beating up her mother.   This resulted in her mother leaving and then traveling from relationship to relationship with the girls in tow, alternating between being wealthy, comfortable and poor. 

As a result, Kate had a tough coming of age and did not always make good decisions.  Kate wrote honestly and openly and shared recipes of food related to the memories she was sharing.  One of these memories was of a tradition she and her husband had of serving Hoppin' John during the holidays.

Hoppin' John

That reminded me that I, too, had made Hoppin John over the Holidays and had never shared the recipe with you.  Thanks to this autobiography, I am sharing the recipe with you today.  Enjoy!!

Hoppin John pin

I am going to be sharing this over at Foodies Read....Stop by and see what the others are reading this month.


Side Dishes, Rice, Bacon,
Side Dishes
Southern
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Hoppin' John

Hoppin' John

This delicious, traditional side dish often served on New Year's Eve, for good luck, makes a great addition to summer potlucks too.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 35 Min

Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb bacon, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
  • 1 c. uncooked long grain rice
  • 2 c. water
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of cayenne
  • 1/2 t. dried basil
  • 1/4 t. dried thyme
  • 1/4 t. dried oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (15 oz) can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained

Instructions

  1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet, over medium high heat, until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Drain and discard all but 2 Tablespoons of the drippings.
  2. Return the pan and drippings to the heat along with the peppers, onions and celery. Cook until almost tender.
  3. Stir in the rice, water, salt, cayenne, thyme, basil and oregano. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Stir in the peas and bacon. Cover and continue to simmer for another 10-15 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Taste of Home

Nutrition Facts

Calories

251.12

Fat (grams)

11.65

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.86

Carbs (grams)

28.18

Fiber (grams)

3.03

Net carbs

25.14

Sugar (grams)

2.86

Protein (grams)

8.04

Sodium (milligrams)

208.19

Cholesterol (grams)

18.71

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.