Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Stanley Tucci's Perfect Negroni Up #CooktheBooks

I just finished reading the memoir Taste by Stanley Tucci for our Cook the Books Club.  This memoir had me laughing out loud from the first page.  I so enjoyed getting to know Stanley Tucci and really, really want to join him for dinner, drinks and conversation.

Taste
This selection was chosen by Deb of Kahakai Kitchen and I just want to say....Thank you, thank you, thank you.  You can read Deb's invitation and join in the fun.  You have until the end of May to read this memoir and create a dish inspired by it. 

Negroni Up

Food inspiration comes easily while reading this memoir but, just in case you don't get bowled over by Stanley's food descriptions, there are numerous recipes interspersed throughout, starting with the cocktail that I am sharing with you today.

Stanley Tucci was not even on my radar before Deb chose this book.  Well, as I think I have mentioned a time or two....I live under a rock.  A google search of Stanley Tucci shows him everywhere with famous people...hell, he even was on the cover of People.  He is a long time actor with films like Hunger Games and Transformers under his belt.  Of course, I have never seen those films because.....yes, I live under a rock.

But he has been in films that I have seen and loved, like Captain America, The Devil Wears Prada and The Terminal.  He was also the creepy bad guy in Lovely Bones.  I did recognize him when I looked at images from the films but never had put a name to his face.

This means that now I have a lot of catching up to do.  As I read this memoir and discovered he had a foodimentary called Searching for Italy.  I am watching it now on demand and enjoying it.  I also found out that he had made a foodie film called The Big Night.  This film is available on NetFlix and is on my to watch list.

Cocktail pin

Stanley Tucci unashamedly name drops throughout the memoir.  He writes just as he speaks and if you watch Searching for Italy you will get a very good idea of the content of the memoir.  Many of the recipes he shares are also documented in this foodimentary.

As for the cocktail?  I did think it was pretty perfect.  Of course, I love Campari and have an affinity for bitter.  Frank hated this cocktail and after one sip poured himself a Crown on the Rocks.  Tucci acknowledges that most people do not serve this cocktail straight up preferring it over ice.   I haven't tried it over ice nor any other versions but I will the next time we are having apertifs and see if I agree with Stanley that this is the correct way to enjoy a Negroni.  

Here is Stanley's recipe......

Serves 1
50 milliliters gin
25 milliliters Campari
25 milliliters good sweet vermouth
Ice
Orange Slice
  • Pour all the booze into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
  • Shake it well
  • Strain it into a coupe.
  • Garnish with a slice of orange
  • Sit down.
  • Drink it.
The sun is now in your stomach.

And that, my friends, pretty much gives you not only a good cocktail recipe but a taste of what Taste is like.  Pick up the book.  You will enjoy it.  Make the cocktail.....you may or may not enjoy it but you will be able to say you tried it.

17 comments:

  1. I love my negronis up too! I love them so much I have three on my blog, lol! I first discovered them on vacation in Charleston of all places! Welcome to the world of Stanley Tucci. You'll definitely have to catch his CNN series on Italy. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started watching when he first mentioned it in his memoirs. I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I am glad we could introduce Stanley to you. You MUST watch The Big Night and catch his series. He is a treasure. The Negroni looks refreshing and good--although I tend to be an over ice person. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched some of his series now Deb and I do want to watch The Big Night. Thanks again for hosting.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you did too Deb. I am watching the series now and enjoying it as much as I did the book. I plan on watching the Big Night as soon as I get a free couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we live under similar rocks. I had never heard of the dude either. But now glad for the introduction! I’m going to give your drink a try, though probably with ice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we can keep each other good company Claudia, perhaps we can sip those Negroni together. Cheers.

      Delete
  5. Not anonymous, Claudia Riley here, the site gave me trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had a negroni but wow, yours looks refreshing. Love Stanley Tucci and am happy you'll get to enjoy some of his movies.

    Oh, I saw Claudia's comment about her comment marked as anonymous. I have that trouble comstantly when I use my phone, even on my own blog when answering someone. If I use my tablet I can comment with my name. Not sure what that's about unless it's an iPhone problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find that I have that problem with my iphone as well. Thanks Tina.

      Delete
  7. You had me at Negroni. It just sounds so refreshing and I'll look forward to trying your take on it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have turned into a Tucci fangirl as a result of listening to this book and watching the Searching for Italy series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have also not seen most of those movies: they don't match my taste. I have seen Big Night, however, and consider it a great movie. I hope you enjoy it (maybe with a sip of you drink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simona, I am choosing it as our Movies and Munchies Film in August if you would like to join us.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.