Saturday, November 6, 2021

Pumpkin Cornbread and The Weekly Menu #FoodnFlix

Seasonal and scrumptious this cornbread is flavored with pumpkin and warm spices.  It will be a welcome addition to your holiday table.

Pumpkin Cornbread

This dish was inspired by the film Friendsgiving.....I hope your Holiday table is nothing like the one shared in the movie........
foodnflix logo

I was looking very forward to watching my first Holiday movie this year when I turned on the FoodnFlix selection this month.  Let me start by saying that there is tons of food inspiration, unfortunately it made me lose my appetite so it took me a while to get past my disappointment and decide on a recipe to share.

This film is about a group of completely dysfunctional people who all end up celebrating Thanksgiving together.  They are so dysfunctional that it is hard to find any redeeming qualities in any of the characters.  It is meant to be a comedy but I just found it sad and disturbing.  

Absolutely not my kind of movie at all but to each their own....just know that this is NOT a family friendly Holiday movie at all.

There is however tons of food inspiration as Abby, who is suffering from a not so recent break up, plans on having a quiet, traditional Thanksgiving meal with her best friend, Molly and her infant son.  This ends up being quite the debacle as unexpected family, friends and exes show up out of nowhere to crash this party.

Pumpkin Cornbread


Each uninvited guest did bring a Thanksgiving side dish with them for Abby to deal with so even more food inspiration there.  At one point, Abby kicked everyone out of the kitchen, so that she didn't burn the cornbread.  

Here is a partial listing of the foods that was seen or mentioned in the film*pecans for pie*Turkey*food on grocery shelves*cranberry juice*Wine*Mote Pillo*Traditional Thanksgiving dinner*Coffee*Cocktails*Green Bean Casserole*Sweet Potatoes*Ceviche with lemon capers*Scone*Oranges*Cornbread*tomatoes*berry tart with gluten free crust*Dinner rolls*salad*Vegetable Medley*Mashed Potatoes*Cookies*Macarons

So I knew that I wanted to make cornbread but I had some leftover pumpkin puree in the refrigerator that I wanted to use up.   A google search found a Pumpkin Cornbread on Delish that needed only one cup of puree.  Perfect!!!

Cornbread Pin



Before I share my recipe today I want to share my Weekly Menu.  I am spending this time before the Holiday Season is in full bloom trying to cook from my freezer and pantry to make room for provisions when the gatherings commence.

Today is our annual scrapbook gathering...it is going to be very different this year.  Kirsten will be sorely missed.  Amy is getting the keys to her new home so is not attending.  Jennifer and Lily are unable to come down this weekend due to work obligations.  Marissa will be coming later in the afternoon when she is done with work.  So it will just be me, Cathy, Karen and Michelle....Frank is on his own for dinner.

Saturday
Scrapbooking

Sunday Supper

Monday
Out to dinner with Friends

Taco Tuesday
Shredded Beef Tacos (using leftover beef from Sunday)

Wednesday
Beef Pot Pie (using the remaining leftovers from Sunday)

Thursday
Mashed Potaatoes
Steamed Acorn Squash

Fish Friday
Cast Iron Honey Garlic Salmon
Brown Rice and Quinoa
Steamed Broccoli

I hope you enjoy this recipe for cornbread and I hope your Holidays are blessed with time spent with family and friends that you love. 


 
bread, quick bread, cornbread, seasonal, pumpkin, side dish
Bread
American
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Pumpkin Cornbread

Pumpkin Cornbread

Seasonal and scrumptious this cornbread is flavored with pumpkin and warm spices. It will be a welcome addition to your holiday table.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 5 T. butter, divided
  • 1 c. cornmeal
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1/3 c. melted butter
  • 2 eggs

Instructions

  1. Melt 1 T. of butter in a cast iron skillet over low heat.
  2. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
  3. Melt the butter in a large measuring cup in the microwave.  Whisk in the pumpkin, sour cream and sugar.  Add the eggs, whisking after each.  Pour into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
  4. Pour into the hot skilllet and place in a preheated 400* oven.  Bake for about 20 minutes, until light golden brown and a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found at Delish.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

299.36

Fat (grams)

19.35

Sat. Fat (grams)

11.26

Carbs (grams)

27.61

Fiber (grams)

2.61

Net carbs

25.00

Sugar (grams)

1.67

Protein (grams)

5.25

Sodium (milligrams)

625.89

Cholesterol (grams)

93.50

2 comments:

  1. I do like this recipe. I went with a pumpkin theme as well. As for the movie---meh. I just posted my pumpkin soup for FnF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that. Great recipe. Yes, I didn't care much for the movie either.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.