Thursday, December 26, 2019

What shall I do with this leftover Strip Loin Roast?

Got Beef?  I made a strip loin for Christmas Dinner and it was delicious.  I had some leftover and it was way too good to waste so I decided to make this Beef in Red Wine Sauce.  It turned out lovely and will be making return performances whenever I have leftover roast to use.


Being faced with all the Christmas Leftovers inspired me to write you a poem........


Twas the day after Christmas and there in the fridge
Were tons of leftovers from a lot to a smidge.

The shelves were near breaking, the food overflows
A problem presented; the doors wouldn't close.

I pondered and wondered, What should I do?
Re-purpose them I thought, so let cooking ensue.

Grab the ham from the top shelf and eggs are there too.
Some cheese to be shredded and here's what I'll do.

Whisk them up in a bowl and season just right
Then into the oven for a baked omelet delight.

The sweet potatoes with that glorious topping
Will make tasty muffins for into the mouth popping.

That beef can be cubed and cooked up in wine
Served up with noodles, it will be so divine.

The eggnog and rolls can be whisked in a minute
And will make a great breakfast with some blueberries in it.

Tomorrow more ham. Should have gotten a half not a whole
But I will use up some more in an au gratin casserole.

The rest of the leftovers, into the freezer I will stash
For more tasty dinners to be made in a flash.

Nothing is wasted in the transformational glory.
And this is the end of my leftover story.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and that the New Year brings nothing but happiness your way.  I will be sharing my leftover creations with you in the upcoming days so stay tuned for that......

#holidayleftovers, #leftovers, #beefroast, #redwines, #mushrooms, #onions, #stew, #onepotmeals
Beef, Entrees, Starting with Leftovers
American
Yield: 4 servings
Author:
Beef in Red Wine Sauce

Beef in Red Wine Sauce

Tender pieces of beef with mushrooms and onions in a flavorful red wine sauce. This is a great recipe when you have leftover beef roast in the refrigerator.
prep time: 10 Mcook time: 30 Mtotal time: 40 M

ingredients:

  • 2 T. butter
  • 1/2 lg, Vidalia onion, sliced
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 c. red wine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 sprigs thyme
  • 1/2 t. cornstarch dissolved in 1 t. cold water
  • 1 c. beef broth
  • 2-3 c. leftover beef roast, cut into cubes
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 6 oz. egg noodles, cooked per package directions

instructions:

How to cook Beef in Red Wine Sauce

  1. Melt the butter in a skillet over med high heat.  Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic, season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the wine, bay leaf and thyme.  Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
  3. Add the beef broth and cornstarch slurry.  Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
  4. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.  Stir in the tomatoes and beef.  Cook, stirring occasionally until heated through, about 5 minutes.
  5. Ladle over egg noodles and serve.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found in LA Times

Calories

638.09

Fat (grams)

33.90

Sat. Fat (grams)

14.63

Carbs (grams)

22.79

Fiber (grams)

2.89

Net carbs

19.90

Sugar (grams)

4.83

Protein (grams)

47.85

Sodium (milligrams)

422.59

Cholesterol (grams)

185.26
Created using The Recipes Generator

4 comments:

  1. I love beef and noodles. Looks delicious Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your poem Wendy!lol.
    I don't like wasting food either and I'm always looking for new ways to repurpose it. Sometimes it's even yummier!
    I hope you had a Merry Christmas and Santa was good to you!
    Have a healthy and prosperous New Year with your family in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J. I had an amazing Christmas and hope that you did as well.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.