Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Everything Sourdough Bagels #BreadBakers

Homemade Bagels made with Sourdough discard and sprinkled with everything spice mix.  What a great way to start the day!!!


Join the Bread Bakers today as we share Breads with Seeds............



As my regular readers know, I have been on a sourdough kick lately.  We had a sourdough event in which I wasn't going to participate.  But then my friend, Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories, convinced me to give it a try and walked me through the entire process.

I made these Sourdough Waffles and I was hooked.  Now that I have the starter in my refrigerator, I need to feed it each week.  That means that there is discard each and every week.  This presents a problem for me as I shiver at the idea of throwing food away.

The result is I have been on a sourdough baking frenzy.  I have made raisin muffins, chocolate chip muffins, pizza dough, coffee cake, and scones all starting with sourdough discard.

So when the theme for this months Bread Bakers was Seeds, I knew I wanted to make Everything Bagels to have on hand for the Teen for breakfast and, of course, I was going to use my sourdough discard.

Let's see what the other Bread Bakers are sharing today........

BreadBakers
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.  This month the theme was chosen by Archana of The Mad Scientist's Kitchen.  Unfortunately, she had an illness in the family and was unable to host so our leader, Stacy of Food Lust People Love has stepped in to host this month.

I found this recipe for Sourdough Bagels on a blog called Pies and Tacos written by Camila.  This was my first visit to Camila's blog.  It won't be my last.  She has so many amazing recipes and so many of them are made with sourdough.  She also has an entire section dedicated to Macarons.  They are gorgeous.


I adapted the recipe only slightly, halving it, making only 6 bagels as opposed to 14 and using an Everything Spice Mix that I picked up from Eastern Market over the weekend instead of making the homemade shared by Camila which, by the way, sounds amazing.


They turned out excellent.  I was a little concerned because it took overnight for the first rise.  That's because it has been getting chilly here in Michigan at night and I refuse to close my windows and turn on the heat.   I did the second rise in the oven and it took the prescribed amount of time. 

The texture is perfect, the crust is chewy and the crumb is dense.  A schmear of cream cheese and breakfast is served!




#bread, #bagels, #sourdough, #breakfast,
Breads, Breakfast
Jewish American
Yield: 6 serving
Author:

Everything Sourdough Bagels

Homemade Bagels made with Sourdough discard and sprinkled with everything spice mix. What a great way to start the day!!!

ingredients:

  • 3/4 c. sourdough discard
  • 1/2-3/4 c. warm water
  • 1/2 T. canola oil
  • 1/2 T. honey
  • 1 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1/1/2 white whole wheat flour
  • 1 T. Baking Soda
  • 1 T. milk
  • 1 T. Everything Spice Mix

instructions:

How to cook Everything Sourdough Bagels

  1. Place sourdough starter, 1/2 c. warm water, oil, honey, salt and flours into the large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on med high until the dough comes together, adding another 1/4 c. water if necessary.  The dough will be very stiff.   
  2. Once the dough comes together, remove the paddle attachment and add the dough hook.  Knead at medium speed for 7-10 minutes until smooth but still stiff.
  3. Remove from bowl, form into a ball.  Treat the bowl with cooking spray and return the dough to the bowl.  Cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise 4-6 hrs, until doubled in size.
  4. Divide the dough into 6 even pieces.  Form each piece into a ball.  Stick your finger through each ball  and form it into a donut shape by rotating the bagel until it is the desired shape and size.
  5. Place the bagels on a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment or a silicone mat.  Cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise for another 2 hrs, until the dough springs back when you poke it.
  6. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the baking soda and then the bagels, 3 at a time, boiling for about 20 seconds per side.  Remove with a slotted spoon or spider and return to the baking sheet.   Brush the bagels with milk and sprinkle with spice mix.
  7. When all bagels are boiled place in a preheated 425* oven for 20 minutes or until deep golden brown. 

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at Pies and Tacos
Calories
212.90
Fat (grams)
2.13
Sat. Fat (grams)
0.27
Carbs (grams)
42.56
Fiber (grams)
3.10
Net carbs
39.46
Sugar (grams)
1.98
Protein (grams)
6.53
Sodium (milligrams)
1149.92
Cholesterol (grams)
0.13
Created using The Recipes Generator

17 comments:

  1. Very nice! Thanks for tagging me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your bagels turned out! Makes me want to bake them again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Always nice to have another recipe to use up sourdough discard, though now that fall is approaching, mine will be used much more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good! Isn't making bagels fun? I was so intimidated the first time, but now I totally enjoy it. P.S. I'm so excited about your sourdough adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way of using discard Wendy. I loved your bagels. I can see fennel seeds also. I am sure you had a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out puffy and beautiful, Wendy! I find that a long, slow rise also means more flavor, so it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sourdough bagels have turned so cute and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sourdough breads and want to start this for long, not sure when I will. Loving this bagel bake, and the seeds topped on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never made sourdough bread as I felt the same way as you did. After seeing how fantastic your bagels turned out I may just have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.