Saturday, December 8, 2018

Celebrating St. Nicholas Day #WinePW

St. Nicholas Day is celebrated each year on December 6th.  This is a popular holiday in Europe.  They celebrate by leaving small gifts in the shoes of their loved ones.


St. Nick visited our house and left a couple of small gifts for Marissa that she found when she awoke in the morning.  That evening we celebrated with a German feast paired with some wonderful wines provided by Winesellers, Ltd.  


German Wine Exploration

Nancy of Pull That Cork arranged to have our sponsor provide each blogger with eight German wines for purposes of this month's German Wine Exploration.  The photo above is also compliments of Nancy who is hosting our party this month which includes twitter chat today at 11 AM ET following #WinePW.  You can find out more at Nancy's Preview Post.

I did take my own photo of all the wines when they arrived but somehow I must have deleted it or put it into the wrong file because I can't find it now.   I have been enjoying the wine on occasion since it arrived so I no longer had all of them to gather for another photo.  I hope Nancy doesn't mind my borrowing hers.  I do appreciate such a generous sampling of wines and have been enjoying them immensely.  All thoughts and opinions are completely my own.


The bottle I opened to celebrate St. Nick's Day and to share with you, my readers, today is the Dr. Heyden Oppenheimer Riesling.  I chose it because the label listed it as "dry style".  It was definitely dry and quite acidic.  The first swallow absolutely grabbed my attention.  



I was pairing this wine with a Bavarian Pot Roast.  When I took the first sip I thought....uhoh....but then I took a bite of dinner, another sip of wine and all my worries were dispelled.  The warm spices in the pot roast smoothed the acidity in the wine.  It turned out to be a very nice pairing after all.


I served the Pot Roast with Spaetzle and Sweet and Sour Cabbage.  The cabbage also paired nicely with this wine.  Another happy surprise.  I enjoyed this wine better with food than by itself but that didn't stop us from finishing the bottle after dinner LOL.

Let's see what the others will be discussing during chat today........



And now onto this easy peasy Bavarian Pot Roast that I adapted from a recipe found at Taste of Home.  


#German, #beef, #beefroast, #crockpot, #slowcooker,
Entrees, Beef, Slow Cooker, Crock Pot
German
Yield: 6 servingsPin it

Bavarian Pot Roast

prep time: 20 minscook time: 10 hourtotal time: 10 hours and 20 mins
Warm and comforting this pot roast is flavored with cinnamon, ginger and bay leaf making it perfect for a cold winter's night dinner.

ingredients:

3 lb. Chuck Roast
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 T. tomato paste
2 T. sugar
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. ground ginger
2 c. beef broth
2 T. cornstarch
1/4 c. cold water

instructions:

Pat the chuck roast dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Add the roast and sear on both sides until browned, about 5-6 minutes per side.  Transfer roast to the crock of a slow cooker.

Add the onions to the same skillet, lower heat to med high and cook until onions start to soften.  Stir in the tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, bay leaf and ginger.  Add the broth, cook and stir, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Pour over the roast in the slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs.

Remove roast from slow cooker.  Remove any bones, gristle or fat and break into chunks.  Place onto a serving platter.  Strain the liquid from the slow cooker into a sauce pan and bring to a boil over med high heat.  Mix together the cold water and cornstarch and whisk it into the boiling broth.  Lower heat to medium. Cook and stir until thickened, season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.  Pour over the roast and serve.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at Taste of Home, submitted by Susan Robertson
Created using The Recipes Generator



2 comments:

  1. Interesting pairing the Riesling with a beef pot roast! Wouldn't have thought of that but Riesling actually does work well with Korean BBQ ribs too. Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.