Friday, August 10, 2018

Charlotte de Chou et de Pommes de Terre #EattheWorld #FarmMarketWeek

Creamy, delicious, potatoes and cabbage mashed together and then enfolded in tender, bright savoy cabbage makes for a stunning presentation.


This is what happens when you decide to Eat the World during Farmer's Market Week.......
This is our final day of Farmer's Market Week, hosted by Ellen of Family Around the Table.  The Festive Foodies Group has been sharing tons of recipes we were inspired to make after visiting the Farmer's Markets and Roadside Stands that are everywhere this time of year.


I joined in the fun each and every day starting with a Potato and Pea Salad on Monday.  This was followed by Zucchini Dip, Green Bean Salad and even a Sweet Corn Ice Cream.  I have had so much fun.

Today, I am finishing up with a French recipe using potatoes, onions and a beautiful head of savoy cabbage from the farmer's market.


When France beat out Croatia for the World Cup last month, Evelyne of CulturEatz decided to honor them by choosing their Country as the one featured in this month's Eat the World Challenge.  I went into a cookbook that I own titled simply "French" and turned to the vegetable section. I knew I wanted to make a recipe that would join together both this event and the Farmer's Market Week event.

One post for two events means less work for me, less reading for you and more exposure for the events.  It is a win/win/win/ proposition.

I made Colcannon this year for St. Pat's Day and my family loved it.  So when I found this recipe for Cabbage Charlotte that contained both cabbage and potatoes, I knew it was going to be a winner.



All the great flavors found in the rustic Colcannon but in a so Ooooh La La Fancy French Package.  This dish is impressive to place on the table and nobody need know how easy it is to assemble.


It is simply a matter of lining a buttered souffle dish with some Savoy Cabbage leaves that have been blanched to a bright green.



Filling it with a creamy mashed potato and cabbage mixture.


Place another cabbage leaf on top and fold over the edges of the leaves on the side.


Before I share this recipe with you please stop and take a look at what the others brought to the table today.

Farmer's Market Week

Eat the World




#potatoes, #cabbage, #casseroles, #sidedishes, #vegetablesides, #Vegetarian,
Vegetables, Potatoes, Side Dish, Casserole
French
Yield: 6Pin it

Charlotte de Chou et de Pommes de Terre (Cabbage Charlotte)

Creamy, delicious, potatoes and cabbage mashed together and then enfolded in tender, bright savoy cabbage makes for a stunning presentation.
prep time: 10 minscook time: 1 hourtotal time: 1 hours and 10 mins

ingredients:

1 head, savoy cabbage
2 T. butter + more for coating the souffle dish
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 egg, beaten
2 T. milk
salt and pepper, to taste

instructions

Butter a  souffle dish, line the bottom with parchment and butter again.  Set aside.

Remove and wash 4-6 large leaves from the head of cabbage.  Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil.  When the water comes to a boil, add the cabbage leaves and allow to cook with the potatoes for a couple of minutes until a bright green color.  Remove the cabbage leaves with tongs and immediately submerge into a bowl filled with ice water.  Lower the water to a simmer and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop half of the head of cabbage. Retain remaining cabbage for another use.  Melt the 2 T. butter in a large skillet.  Add the onion and cabbage and cook, covered, stirring occasionally while the potatoes finish cooking.  If cabbage mixture is golden and tender before the potatoes are finished you can remove from heat and set aside.

Drain the potatoes and return them to the cooking pot.  Mash them with the milk, salt and pepper.  Add a dollop of the mashed mixture to the egg and whisk together briskly.  Add this mixture to the potatoes along with the cabbage mixture and stir to combine completely.

Dry the cabbage leave and place one on the bottom of the souffle dish.  Place 4-5 leaves around the sides of the souffle dish, overlapping on the bottom a bit.  These leaves can reach past the top of the souffle dish.  Fill the lined souffle dish with the potato/cabbage mash.  Place the last cabbage leaf over the top of the mash and fold the side leaves over onto the top of the leaf covering the mash.

Place into a preheated 375* oven for 30-40 minutes, until heated through.  Place a serving dish over the mold and turn it over allowing the Charlotte to drop onto the plate.  Remove the parchment from the top and serve.

NOTES:

Recipe adapted from one found in French by Clements & Wolf-Cohen.
Created using The Recipes Generator





31 comments:

  1. That looks like savory, delicious, comfort food. I like the cabbage leaf displayed across the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW! What a stunning looking dish (plus CABBAGE and POTATOES! - two of my favourite foods!). What a great fancy-dinner centerpiece that would make. Definitely keeping this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! And beautiful! It looks like a Charlotte, the cake, but with cabbage and potatoes. My kind of dish :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so named because it should be made in a Charlotte pan...I don't own one so I improvised.

      Delete
  4. Wow~ I can't wait to try this, Wendy. I had NO idea what to expect from your title. Beautiful dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning. That just looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific Wendy, and I've been looking for more recipes to use up my ongoing, ever happening collards. Cabbage by any other name. This is a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, what a fun way to package the cabbage and potatoes. We are still getting both from our CSA... so this could definitely happen this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely delicious! I love savoy cabbage and I am always looking for new ways to prepare it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As an Irish girl, I grew up and still eat Colcannon, cabbage, and potatoes when ever I can. So, I am really looking forward to making Cabbage Charlotte. My family is going to love the twist on the cabbage and potatoes. This is a tasty one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I fell in love with the combo the first time I made Colcannon.

      Delete
  10. I was bummed Croatia lost as I was pulling for them. This is such an impressive dish that I know my family will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to making a Croatian recipe but I'm sure eventually we will be visiting there too.

      Delete
  11. I've not heard of this but it sounds such a interesting, frugal dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis looks so interesting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is indeed a stunning presentation! It sounds so very tasty, and so unique! What a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wendy! This is just stunning! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.