Thursday, April 12, 2018

Creamy Asparagus Soup #ImprovCookingChallenge

The #ImprovCookingChallenge is a monthly blogging event where two ingredients are assigned to a month. Bloggers can make any recipe they like as long as it features the two ingredients.

No automatic alt text available.

If you are a blogger and would like to join us, please visit our Facebook page.  You can also read more about the event on our our home page and you can see previous creations on our Pinterest board.

Our ingredients for this month's Improv Cooking Challenge are Asparagus and Cream.  This great group is ran by Nichole of Cookaholic Wife.


These are perfect ingredients for this time of year.  I knew right away that I was going to make an Asparagus soup to serve with Easter Dinner.  I think Asparagus is one of the great blessings that Spring brings to us each year.  It is my favorite vegetable and that means something because I LOVE all vegetables.

This soup is quick and easy to make.  I added cream to this version because of the theme for our challenge, however it can be made with all chicken broth and it is still creamy and delicious.  Using all broth will also make it lower in calories.  Replacing the butter with olive oil and the chicken broth with vegetable broth makes it the perfect vegan first course.

Whenever I make a cream soup that needs to be perfectly smooth, I use my heavy duty blender and allow it to do all the work for me.  When making a soup, like this corn chowder, where only a portion needs to be pureed, I use my immersion blender.  

I was a bit disappointed with the shadows in my photo but, as I said, this was served as first course on Easter so I snapped a quick shot before taking it to the table filled with hungry people.


Creamy Asparagus Soup

2 T. butter
1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
2 T. flour
3 1/2 c. chicken broth 
1/2 c. light cream
1 bunch asparagus, tough ends snapped off
1 t. dried savory
Salt and pepper, to taste

Remove the tips from the asparagus and place in a small bowl.  Add a touch of water, cover and microwave for a 2-3 minutes.  Remove, drain and set aside.  Chop the stalks of the asparagus into 1" pieces.  Set aside.

Melt the butter in a soup pot over med high heat.  Add the onions and cook until fragrant and translucent.  Add the flour, cook and stir for a couple of minutes until light brown and nutty smelling.  Gradually whisk in the chicken broth until flour is dissolved.  Add the asparagus stalks and savory.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook until asparagus is very tender, about 20 minutes.

Place the mixture into a heavy duty blender and puree until smooth.  Alternately you can use a food processor or an immersion blender.  Return to the pot and stir in the cream.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Garnish each bowl with the steamed asparagus tips.  Print Recipe

More Asparagus and Cream Creations


8 comments:

  1. Nice to see this recipe! I've been thinking about doing an asparagus soup for this month's Soup Swappers...you kind of helped out a little bit with my recipe research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love those high powered blenders for extra creamy soup! It looks perfectly smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seemed like a lot of money for a blender but every time I make a smoothie, blended frozen cocktail or soup I'm glad I have it.

      Delete
  3. This sounds wonderful! I would love a bowl of this creamy soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious!! I will have to see if I can get my kids to eat it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell them what it is. If you can get them to taste it they will love it.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.