Wednesday, February 28, 2018

#RecipeRedo~~Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore (Gluten Free)

I am sharing a recipe redo with you today.  Once a month a group of fellow bloggers from my Festive Foodie group get together and redo one of their recipes.  We may choose to redo it because our photos were not as good as we liked.  Perhaps, we just want to bring new life to a post that was written years ago. Or because, as in this case, we made some changes to the original recipe.

I redid this recipe while I was in California last month.  I was hosting a family dinner and I have a niece and great niece who are gluten intolerant.  

In the original recipe from September of 2013, I dredged the chicken in seasoned flour before browning it.  In this recipe I still browned the chicken before putting it in the crock pot but I didn't use any flour.  I also didn't add any wine to this recipe as I was not sure if all wine were gluten free and I didn't want to chance it.


This is a great recipe to feed your family or a crowd on those busy days when you aren't going to be at home to cook.  In this instance, I was out sightseeing while my dinner was being made for 20 guests set to arrive for dinner at 5 pm.

This was only one of three entrees served.  My brother grilled up some burgers and I also served up Fish en Pappilote that paired well with the pasta.  Guests provided appetizers, salads and desserts.  It was a lovely time.

I have found through the years that dark meat pieces work better in this dish than white meat.  I used legs and thighs for this dinner.  You also want to cook this dish on low heat for 4 hrs., if you let it cook too long or use high heat your chicken will dry out.





You will find more wonderful recipes from my Festive Foodie friends following #reciperedo on social media.

Gluten Free Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore

1-2 pieces of chicken per person, legs and thighs
1 qt. gluten free marinara sauce + 1 qt. for tossing with pasta and to pass
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. olive oil
1 large onion, sliced

Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over med high heat.  When shimmering, add the chicken in batches and cook, turning until browned.  Place the slice onion in the crock of a slow cooker.  Lay the chicken pieces on top and pour 1 qt of marinara sauce over the top.  Cover and cook on low for 4 hrs.  Serve with Brown Rice Fettucine, tossed with gluten free Marinara sauce and pass extra sauce at the table.  Print Recipe


24 comments:

  1. So easy, but looks so delicious! Love dishes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds heavenly...I like that you decided to make a traditional recipe containing gluten into a non-gluten one...and you got to sightsee while it did its thing...major bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect hands-off dinner. What a great way to enjoy each-other's company instead of toiling in the kitchen all evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious Wendy. Slow cooking while on vacation sounds like a very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your recipe redo! I enjoy that you changed up the recipe for your gluten-free family and the recipe was a bit hit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet the flour wasn't missed on the chicken in the slightest! A good sear can solve all problems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you used a slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love chicken cacciatore and the slow cooker makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good slow cooker recipe and one that is my favorite to eat when my mom makes it is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious, Wendy. We make a lot of chicken and I love finding easy and yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the kind of meal my family would love!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.