Monday, November 7, 2016

Chicken Wild Rice Casserole

The other day, I wasn't sure what to make for dinner.  It was one of those days that I had forgotten to take anything out of the freezer the night before.  So I grabbed a whole chicken out of the freezer and put it straight into the crockpot with some chicken broth and seasonings, turned it on high and went about my business.

When it was dinner time, the chicken was fall off the bones tender.  I removed all of the skin and bones and was left with a beautiful pile of chicken, some of which I used to make this casserole and the rest of which was turned into Chicken Pot Pie.

This recipe is slightly adapted from this recipe at  Taste of Home.  The recipe, as written made two 9x13" casseroles.  I halved the recipe and made two 8x8" casseroles.  One that we enjoyed for dinner and one that was put into the freezer for another busy night.


I also made other small adjustments, regular cut green beans instead of French cut; cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of celery; I used a wild rice blend that cooks in 15 minutes instead of a ready to serve mixture; I deleted the pimientos and used safflower mayo.


It was a very good dinner that was put together quickly (once the chicken was cooked).  I loved the crunch of the water chestnuts and almonds.  This will become a regular when I have leftover chicken and hungry mouths to feed.

Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
adapted from Taste of Home

1 c. wild rice blend, cooked per package directions
1 (16 oz) pkg frozen green beans thawed
1 (10 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (8oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. safflower mayonnaise
1/4 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste
3 c. leftover chicken meat, shredded or cut into bite size pieces
1/2 c, slivered almonds

Combine the rice, green beans, soup, water chestnuts, onion, mayo, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl, stirring until well blended.  Gently stir in the chicken and almonds.  Transfer half of the mixture into an 8x8" baking dish that has been treated with cooking spray.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 25-30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.  

Place the remaining half into a treated baking pan and seal with aluminum foil.  Place in the freezer for another day.  Print Recipe







2 comments:

  1. We love chicken here!! And it is so versatile. You can turn it into almost anything. This dish sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Paula and it will also be a great casserole to use up that Thanksgiving turkey.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.