Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bittersweet Tuesday....

The original title of this post was going to be Sweet Tuesday but just prior to posting it I went to my friend, Paula's, blog over at Smidgens, Snippets and Bits and learned that her husband had lost his battle with Parkinson's Disease last night.  Paula posted a beautiful music video in tribute to her husband Richard. Please stop by her blog and offer your support during this very difficult time.

I changed the title to Bittersweet Tuesday because while Paula was busy preparing for a final goodbye as a life ended, I was again busy today preparing for a life to come into our world.  And so goes the circle of life.

We were originally going to attend the 4H Fair today but Teaghyn had a birthday party to attend so Dawn is getting her tomorrow and we will go to the Fair.  Since that was cancelled, I knew that Frank was taking his Mom out for lunch today so Spence and I joined them.  While we were out, we stopped at Miles Cake and Candy Supply and bought some colored chocolate and some cute molds containing little baby items.  After another stop to see my Mom we came home and Spence and I started making candies for the shower.


Spence is very serious about his work.
Making candy in molds is easy but very time consuming.


The molds had 5 different objects and we used 4 different colors of chocolate.

While we were playing with the candy, Kim called and asked if she could come by and drop off Ting and Tony's shower gift as she is leaving to work a 3 day trip tomorrow and will not get home until late on Saturday night.  Kim's cousin, Anna, has been visiting with her this week so they both came over for a dip in the pool and to join us for dinner.


No, the heater is not fixed yet but it was a really hot day out there today.

Kim and Anna relaxed for a few minutes while I went in and started our dinner for tonight.  We had a new recipe for Try it Tuesday that also incorporated my Year of Pizza Challenge.  It was a very quick recipe adapted from this one that I found on Cooking Classy.  


I used a mixture of Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash.


Halve the squash lengthwise and take out the center seeded portion.
If the squash boats are large you can halve them again if you choose.


Fill the cavities with pizza sauce.
Sprinkle with cheese.


Top each with a pepperoni that has been quartered.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil leaves.


Bake in a 350* degree oven or on a gas grill over med heat with the lid shut for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.  I could have given mine another 5 minutes or so on the grill so adjust your time as needed.



Summer Squash Pizza Boats
adapted from Cooking Classy

8-10 small zucchini and yellow summer squash
1 (14 oz) jar pizza sauce
2 c. shredded Mozzarella Cheese
16-20 pepperoni slices, quartered
Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped 


Halve the squash lengthwise and remove seeds and spongy inner portion with a spoon.  Place squash on a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper.  ( I did not do this and I was sorry when it was clean up  time.) Fill each squash cavity with pizza sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.  Quarter one pepperoni slice per squash boat and place on top of cheese.  Sprinkle boats with fresh chopped basil and bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.  Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.